Re: MacOS X, iconv and gettext emulation

  • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2002
      At 11:38 Uhr +0200 2002-07-09, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      >In case it's just these two missing, can't you add:
      >
      >#ifndef EINVAL
      ># define EINVAL 22
      >#endif
      >#ifndef E2BIG
      ># define E2BIG 7
      >#endif
      >
      >I think the numbers are the same everywhere. Even better is when you
      >have an "errno.h" file to include.

      I have an errno.h file and it
      #define EINVAL 9
      only for __dest_os == __win32_os

      I'll try again with EINVAL and E2BIG defined as above.

      Axel
    • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 14, 2002
        At 11:38 Uhr +0200 2002-07-09, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        >#ifndef EINVAL
        ># define EINVAL 22
        >#endif
        >#ifndef E2BIG
        ># define E2BIG 7
        >#endif

        After defining these errors (and ENOENT, EFAULT and EILSEG (the later
        is defined in mbyte.c but used in os_macosx.c) and including
        TextEncodingConverter.h, I discovered that my libraries are out of
        date.

        Now I've updated to Universal headers 3.4.1 (which are probably
        already outdated since carbonLib 1.6 got released.)

        I'm now down to several:

        Error : not a struct/union/class
        os_macosx.c line 294 st = TECCreateConverter(&cd->tec, fromEnc, toEnc);

        And a lot of:

        Error : cannot convert
        'const char *' to
        'unsigned long'
        os_macosx.c line 419 buf_in, in_len, (ByteCount*)&in_true,

        Error : cannot convert
        'char *' to
        'unsigned long'
        os_macosx.c line 420 buf_out, out_len, (ByteCount*)&out_true);

        Error : cannot convert
        'char *' to
        'unsigned long'
        os_macosx.c line 432 buf_out, out_true, (ByteCount*)&rev_in,

        Error : cannot convert
        'char *' to
        'unsigned long'
        os_macosx.c line 433 buf_rev, in_true, (ByteCount*)&rev_out);

        Error : cannot convert
        'char *' to
        'unsigned long'
        os_macosx.c line 459 buf_out, out_len, (ByteCount*)&out_true);

        Error : cannot convert
        'char *' to
        'unsigned long'
        os_macosx.c line 469 buf_out, out_len, (ByteCount*)&out_true);

        Why doesn't the MacOS X compiler complain?

        Axel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 16, 2002
          On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 09:26 PM, MURAOKA Taro wrote:

          >> After your previous patch, some of my menus got translated (into
          >> Japanese?) even though I changed none of the defaults. Should I have
          >> read the Makefile more carefully, or was this your fault?
          >
          > It may be fixed on new patch.
          > Language which used for menu and its font maybe depend on existence of
          > *.lproj directory and System Preferences setting. If there is no
          > *.lproj for your selected language, other one of available *.lproj was
          > used. On previous patch, I had prepared only Japanese.lproj, it caused
          > your case. But on new patch, Make_osx.mak create English.lproj as
          > default. It is expected to show default english menu.
          >
          > If you need, you could specify to create other *.lproj directories
          > additionally using MULTILANG compile option.

          MURAOKA Taro:

          I have tried compiling, and there are several problems. Easy ones
          first:

          1. I want the application to be named Vim.app instead of gvim.app so I
          edited Make_osx.mak . This mostly worked, but po/Make_osx.pl also
          assumes that the executable is called gvim. Can you arrange it so that
          the change in Make_osx.mak is automatically made in po/Make_osx.pl ?

          2. A while ago on this list, Raindog gave us an Info.plist that enables
          drag-and-drop. I have been distributing it with my builds. Could you
          change your makefile so that it includes this improvement? (You can get
          the Info.plist from the patches/ folder on my iDisk or ask and I will
          send it to you directly.) Also, I think that most people prefer Douglas
          Stebila's icon; could you use that instead?
          http://mac.douglas.stebila.ca/code/vim/

          3. I tried compiling with MULTILANG=all . The menus look OK, but the
          introduction screen, the window title, and the status line have some
          unwanted characters. I tried again with MULTILANG=none and the problem
          is still there. Worse, my viminfo file got corrupted: here are the
          first few lines:

          åt| his viminfo file was generated by Vim 6.1.
          åt| ou may edit it if you're careful!

          åt| alue of 'encoding' when this file was written

          (Above copied and pasted from Terminal vim, using the usual system copy
          and paste. Below copied from gvim using "*y3<CR> .)

          Ât†his viminfo file was generated by Vim 6.1.
          Ât†ou may edit it if you're careful!

          Ât†alue of 'encoding' when this file was written
          *encoding=latin1

          4. I tried rm ~/.viminfo ; make clean ; make -f Make_osx.mak . There
          was less recompiling than I expected, and the time stamp on gvim.app/
          did not change; I am not sure if this is a problem. After this, I still
          see the strange characters as before, and the first few lines of
          ~/.viminfo now look like this:

          GÄhis viminfo file was generated by Vim 6.1.
          GÄou may edit it if you're careful!

          GÄalue of 'encoding' when this file was written
          *encoding=latin1

          I am not sure where to go from here. I will post the binary on my
          iDisk as vim61alpha.tar.gz in case you or anyone else wants to try it
          out.

          --Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 16, 2002
            On Tuesday, July 16, 2002, at 02:26 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > [snip]
            > 4. I tried rm ~/.viminfo ; make clean ; make -f Make_osx.mak . There
            > was less recompiling than I expected, and the time stamp on gvim.app/
            > did not change; I am not sure if this is a problem.

            I guess that should have been make -f Make_osx.mak clean. I tried
            again, with more recompilation but without much change in the results.

            --Benji Fisher

            http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html
          • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2002
              Last week I wrote that it should be possible to use TEC for Mac Classic.
              That was a bad thing to do, because I couldn't rest until I got it compiled:-)

              The patches included (against a clean 6.1.118) include the changes to
              get iconv emulation layer compiled with CodeWarrior 2 for MacOS
              Classic.

              What have I done?
              os_macosx.c:
              #include <TextEncodingConverter.h>
              (This is automatically included with carbon.h)
              Changed a lot of variables to the types expected by the library to
              avoid casting: buf_in, buf_out, out_len, out_true, etc.
              CW is really picky about type missmatch.

              os_mac.h:
              #define TRACE

              structs.h:
              Added typedef for MacOS Classic,
              define missing errors.

              Project:
              Added library (Patch not included)

              Things to do:
              Learn how to use encodings to test if it really works.

              Muraoka-san,

              could you please integrate these patches into your version and if
              possible release a new patch against a more recent Vim?

              Everyone else:

              The patches will be probably missing from the list, if you really
              want them, please ask by mail.

              Axel
            • MURAOKA Taro
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2002
                Great works!!.

                > Muraoka-san,
                >
                > could you please integrate these patches into your version and if
                > possible release a new patch against a more recent Vim?

                I see. I will try it on this week end.
                ----
                MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>