Re: Edit in MacVim InputManager [Re: Cyberduck and MacVim.app]

  • dchan@mrjoy.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 5, 2008
      The documentation in the current ODBInputManager.tar.bz2 on the
      website as of Sunday evening is slightly off. I too have been getting
      the "Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/Edit in
      ODBEditor.bundle" errors.

      The current documentation says:

      >1. From the Terminal, do (the backslash indicates that the command you have to
      > type continues on the next line):
      >
      > defaults write org.slashpunt.edit_in_odbeditor \
      > ODBEditorBundleIdentifier "org.vim.MacVim"
      > defaults write org.slashpunt.edit_in_odbeditor \
      > ODBEditorName MacVim
      > sudo mkdir /Library/InputManagers
      > sudo cp -pR "~/Desktop/ODBInputManager/Edit in ODBEditor" \
      > /Library/InputManagers
      > sudo chown -R root:admin /Library/InputManagers

      The 4th command should say something more like

      sudo cp -pR ~/"Desktop/ODBInputManager/Edit in ODBEditor" /Library/
      InputManagers

      the ~ needs to not be in "" to expand correctly.

      Also, to be clear, the .bundle should NOT be directly in the
      InputManagers directory.

      The tilde expansion failed for me, so when I re-ran it, I used tab-
      complete, which stuck a / on the tail of the "Edit in ODBEditor" This
      copies the contents of
      Edit in ODBEditor" without the directory itself, and you get
      the .bundle in /Library/InputMethods. You want to end up with
      something like this tree:

      /Library/InputManagers
      /Library/InputManagers/.DS_Store
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents/Info.plist
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents/MacOS
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents/MacOS/Edit in ODBEditor
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents/Resources
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents/Resources/English.lproj
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
      Contents/Resources/url map.plist
      /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Info
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 5, 2008
        On 05/02/2008, dchan@... <dchan@...> wrote:

        > The documentation in the current ODBInputManager.tar.bz2 on the
        > website as of Sunday evening is slightly off. I too have been getting
        > the "Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/Edit in
        > ODBEditor.bundle" errors.
        >
        > The current documentation says:
        >
        > >1. From the Terminal, do (the backslash indicates that the command you have to
        > > type continues on the next line):
        > >
        > > defaults write org.slashpunt.edit_in_odbeditor \
        > > ODBEditorBundleIdentifier "org.vim.MacVim"
        > > defaults write org.slashpunt.edit_in_odbeditor \
        > > ODBEditorName MacVim
        > > sudo mkdir /Library/InputManagers
        > > sudo cp -pR "~/Desktop/ODBInputManager/Edit in ODBEditor" \
        > > /Library/InputManagers
        > > sudo chown -R root:admin /Library/InputManagers
        >
        > The 4th command should say something more like
        >
        > sudo cp -pR ~/"Desktop/ODBInputManager/Edit in ODBEditor" /Library/
        > InputManagers
        >
        > the ~ needs to not be in "" to expand correctly.
        >
        > Also, to be clear, the .bundle should NOT be directly in the
        > InputManagers directory.
        >
        > The tilde expansion failed for me, so when I re-ran it, I used tab-
        > complete, which stuck a / on the tail of the "Edit in ODBEditor" This
        > copies the contents of
        > Edit in ODBEditor" without the directory itself, and you get
        > the .bundle in /Library/InputMethods. You want to end up with
        > something like this tree:
        >
        > /Library/InputManagers
        > /Library/InputManagers/.DS_Store
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Info.plist
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/MacOS
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/MacOS/Edit in ODBEditor
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources/English.lproj
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources/url map.plist
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Info

        Thanks...I have updated the instructions to point out that it is very
        important not to add that extra slash after the paths when copying
        folders. (Also, see my reply to Ted's post.)

        /Björn