Re: A question on language support

  • Bem Jones-Bey
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
      On Feb 3, 2008, at 4:17, björn wrote:

      > I very much doubt it has anything to do with my environment
      > variables...it looks more like I don't have a universal version of the
      > Perl libraries for some reason. In any case, my output from set is:

      Yeah, you're right. I missed that in the output in your earlier mail.
      Hopefully Ben's suggestions help. I just checked with a friend of
      mine that has a PPC mac, and has the devtools installed, but his Perl
      Dynaloader.a is also a ppc bin. And, his system versions of the
      python lib (/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
      Python) and ruby lib (/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib) are also ppc only.

      The reason that you can compile in Python into a universal bin and
      not anything else is that Python is a framework, and is thus shipped
      with the 10.4u SDK, so you link against (/Developer/SDKs/
      MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
      2.3/Python).

      One thing that my friend mentioned, which makes sense, is that when
      the PPC version of 10.4 came out, Apple hadn't shipped the Intel Macs
      yet, so nothing came as a universal bin. So that's probably why your
      PPC mac doesn't have universal libs for the system libs.

      -- Bem Jones-Bey (bem@...)

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
        On 03/02/2008, Bem Jones-Bey <bem@...> wrote:

        > On Feb 3, 2008, at 4:17, björn wrote:
        >
        > > I very much doubt it has anything to do with my environment
        > > variables...it looks more like I don't have a universal version of the
        > > Perl libraries for some reason. In any case, my output from set is:
        >
        > Yeah, you're right. I missed that in the output in your earlier mail.
        > Hopefully Ben's suggestions help. I just checked with a friend of
        > mine that has a PPC mac, and has the devtools installed, but his Perl
        > Dynaloader.a is also a ppc bin. And, his system versions of the
        > python lib (/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
        > Python) and ruby lib (/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib) are also ppc only.
        >
        > The reason that you can compile in Python into a universal bin and
        > not anything else is that Python is a framework, and is thus shipped
        > with the 10.4u SDK, so you link against (/Developer/SDKs/
        > MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
        > 2.3/Python).

        I see, I thought it a bit strange that Python would work and not Perl...

        > One thing that my friend mentioned, which makes sense, is that when
        > the PPC version of 10.4 came out, Apple hadn't shipped the Intel Macs
        > yet, so nothing came as a universal bin. So that's probably why your
        > PPC mac doesn't have universal libs for the system libs.

        Yes, that is true. But annoying.

        I compiled Perl 5.8.8 manually as a universal binary, but
        unfortunately the configure script doesn't accept it. The following
        is the output from ./configure --enable-gui=macvim
        --with-mac-arch=both --enable-perlinterp:

        checking --enable-perlinterp argument... yes
        checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
        checking Perl version... OK
        checking if compile and link flags for Perl are sane... no: PERL DISABLED

        So it finds Perl (in /usr/local where I put it), but then says the
        compile and link flags aren't sane...what is that supposed to mean?
        Any ideas? (I tried looking at the configure script, but I do not
        understand it at all.)

        Anyway, I am about to give up on this...it is taking too much time.
        If I ever can afford an upgrade to an Intel Mac I will start building
        the snapshots with more languages supported, but for now I think I'll
        just stick with cscope/python/tcl since those are the only ones that
        work for me.

        /Björn

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
          > Anyway, I am about to give up on this...it is taking too much time.
          > If I ever can afford an upgrade to an Intel Mac I will start building
          > the snapshots with more languages supported, but for now I think I'll
          > just stick with cscope/python/tcl since those are the only ones that
          > work for me.

          Why doesn't one of us with an Intel machine just tar/zip up our universal
          /System/Library/Perl along with /usr/bin/perl* and send it to you? You can backup
          what you currently have, just in case, then drop the new stuff in, and it'd
          probably 'just work'. It's not like it's Apple proprietory or anything.

          And I think the same would work for ruby, if we give you /usr/bin/ruby plus
          /usr/lib/libruby* plus /usr/lib/ruby. It seems to include headers, and
          deinstalling my MacPorts ruby MacVim still builds OK.

          So...I've tar.bz2'ed all the above it and it weighs in at 14.7 MB. Interested in
          giving it a try, Bjorn?

          Ben.

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
            On 04/02/2008, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

            > > Anyway, I am about to give up on this...it is taking too much time.
            > > If I ever can afford an upgrade to an Intel Mac I will start building
            > > the snapshots with more languages supported, but for now I think I'll
            > > just stick with cscope/python/tcl since those are the only ones that
            > > work for me.
            >
            > Why doesn't one of us with an Intel machine just tar/zip up our universal
            > /System/Library/Perl along with /usr/bin/perl* and send it to you? You can backup
            > what you currently have, just in case, then drop the new stuff in, and it'd
            > probably 'just work'. It's not like it's Apple proprietory or anything.
            >
            > And I think the same would work for ruby, if we give you /usr/bin/ruby plus
            > /usr/lib/libruby* plus /usr/lib/ruby. It seems to include headers, and
            > deinstalling my MacPorts ruby MacVim still builds OK.
            >
            > So...I've tar.bz2'ed all the above it and it weighs in at 14.7 MB. Interested in
            > giving it a try, Bjorn?

            Thanks Ben. I'm not sure it will work to send me such a large
            attachement in an email...but unless you another way of making it
            available to me I guess we could try?

            /Björn

          • Matt Tolton
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
              > Thanks Ben. I'm not sure it will work to send me such a large
              > attachement in an email...but unless you another way of making it
              > available to me I guess we could try?

              Gmail supports up to 20 MB attachments, as far as I know.

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                >> So...I've tar.bz2'ed all the above it and it weighs in at 14.7 MB. Interested in
                >> giving it a try, Bjorn?
                >
                > Thanks Ben. I'm not sure it will work to send me such a large
                > attachement in an email...but unless you another way of making it
                > available to me I guess we could try?

                Yeah. My outgoing email would choke on it, too, Bjorn. I'm putting it at

                http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2

                I have slow uploads from here, too, so it'll chug along for a while but should be
                well and truly fully uploaded by Feb 5 1:00 AM GMT. Its md5 checksum should be

                schmidt:personal $ openssl md5 perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2
                MD5(perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2)= 1a9d970941db9d461bb2672f0caed07a

                Off to have breakfast and go to work!

                Cheers,

                Ben.

              • Ben Schmidt
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                  > http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2

                  Hmmph. Something in that file name must trigger some access rule on the
                  server...moved to

                  http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/pl+rb-univ.tar.bz2

                  Checksum the same as previously posted, of course.

                  Ben.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 5, 2008
                    On 05/02/2008, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

                    > > http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2
                    >
                    > Hmmph. Something in that file name must trigger some access rule on the
                    > server...moved to
                    >
                    > http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/pl+rb-univ.tar.bz2
                    >
                    > Checksum the same as previously posted, of course.

                    I just got it...checksum matches and all...so you can safely remove
                    the download now. I will let you know how/if it works.

                    Thanks,