Re: A question on language support

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
      On 02/02/2008, Bem Jones-Bey <bem@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:35, björn wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks for the suggestions, but I'd rather not have to enable another
      > > user etc. Does anybody know how to make ld look in the right place
      > > for libraries? That is, can I make it not use the MacPorts libraries
      > > first? I don't understand why it is looking there to begin with. My
      > > LDFLAGS is empty and the only environment variable that even points
      > > anywhere near /opt is PATH. Does PATH have any influence on which
      > > libraries ld will link to?!? (By the way I tried "export
      > > LDFLAGS=-F/System/Library/Frameworks" before make, but it made no
      > > difference...the MacPorts libraries are still being used.)
      >
      > I just managed to get a successful build with my normal user account.
      > I used the following shell script to do it (invoked from the root
      > directory of my git checkout). Björn, if this script doesn't work for
      > you, can you send me the output of 'set' in your environment? There
      > may be some other lib path hiding somewhere that's causing problems.
      >
      > #!/bin/sh
      >
      > export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=
      > export LIBRARY_PATH=
      > export CPATH=
      > export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH
      > export LDFLAGS=-F/System/Library/Frameworks
      > cd src && \
      > ./configure --enable-gui=macvim --with-features=huge --with-mac-
      > arch=both \
      > --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp \
      > --enable-tclinterp \
      > --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/
      > Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/config \
      > && \
      > make && \
      > cd MacVim &&\
      > xcodebuild

      Bem,

      Thanks for your help, but unfortunately I still get the same error when linking:

      /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: for architecture i386
      /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: warning
      /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
      archive's cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7)
      for specified -arch flag: i386 (can't load from it)
      /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: warning
      /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
      cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for
      specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
      /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: Undefined symbols:
      _Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
      ...etc...

      I very much doubt it has anything to do with my environment
      variables...it looks more like I don't have a universal version of the
      Perl libraries for some reason. In any case, my output from set is:

      BASH=/bin/bash
      BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="05b" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release"
      [5]="powerpc-apple-darwin8.0")
      BASH_VERSION='2.05b.0(1)-release'
      CFZombieLevel=3
      COLUMNS=80
      DIRSTACK=()
      DISPLAY=:0.0
      EUID=501
      GROUPS=()
      HISTFILESIZE=500
      HISTSIZE=500
      HOSTTYPE=powerpc
      IFS=$' \t\n'
      LINES=24
      MACHTYPE=powerpc-apple-darwin8.0
      MAILCHECK=60
      MANPATH=/usr/local/man
      NSZombieEnabled=YES
      OPTERR=1
      OPTIND=1
      OSTYPE=darwin8.0
      PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
      PERL5LIB=/usr/local/lib/svn-perl
      PIPESTATUS=([0]="127")
      PPID=302
      PS1='\h:\w \u\$ '
      PS2='> '
      PS4='+ '
      SECURITYSESSIONID=4036f0
      SHELL=/bin/bash
      SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor
      SHLVL=1
      TERM=xterm-color
      TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
      TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=133
      UID=501
      _=symbols:
      __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0

      /Björn

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
        On 03/02/2008, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

        > > I very much doubt it has anything to do with my environment
        > > variables...it looks more like I don't have a universal version of the
        > > Perl libraries for some reason. In any case, my output from set is:
        >
        > I agree with that deduction. I am on Intel 10.4.9 and get
        >
        > $ lipo -info
        > /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
        > Architectures in the fat file:
        > /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
        > are: i386 ppc
        >
        > I presume if you do the same, the i386 will be missing.

        Yes, mine only contains the ppc binary. I though maybe there'd be a
        universal version somewhere under /Developer but I couldn't find
        anything at all relating to Perl there.

        > Now, one wonders why. I presume you've never run any script that thins out
        > binaries to save disk space or anything like that. Maybe universal binaries are an
        > option to install with the developer tools? Maybe check that CD/DVD installer
        > doesn't have an option to install a universal version, or a universal SDK (which
        > just might include universal Perl unexpectedly...). It must be on your original
        > install disks somewhere as a universal binary, as it is evidently installed as
        > universal on i386 systems, so it should just be a case of digging it up.

        Nope, I just installed Xcode yesterday (I did a reinstall of Tiger)
        from the latest version of Xcode (downloaded from the Apple dev site).
        The only options I deselected were Java development and the docs, I
        installed everything else.

        By the way, I did not install MacPorts yet (nor Fink for that matter)
        to see if I could build Vim with a "clean" install of OS X and the dev
        tools.

        > Maybe this page would help
        >
        > http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.8/README.macosx
        >
        > or the page referenced from there
        >
        > http://www.charlessoft.com/

        That page seems to be all about building your own Perl, which maybe I
        will be forced to do. :-(

        > Hopefully this same problem won't exist for all your script interpreters...perhaps
        > do a ./configure for Vim with perlinterp, pythoninterp, rubyinterp, etc. all
        > individually and see if they are all going to break or not...

        I checked today...Python and Tcl support works, Ruby complains about
        missing header files (I have the Ruby libs it seems, not the header
        files though), and Perl is obviously missing universal versions of the
        libs.

        So I guess I have to find the relevant Ruby headers (and hope the libs
        are universal), and build my own universal version of Perl. Well, at
        least I know what the problem is now...I just wished there was an
        easier solution than building my own version of Perl (and possibly
        Ruby). :'(

        Thanks for all the help,

      • Bem Jones-Bey
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
          On Feb 3, 2008, at 4:17, björn wrote:

          > I very much doubt it has anything to do with my environment
          > variables...it looks more like I don't have a universal version of the
          > Perl libraries for some reason. In any case, my output from set is:

          Yeah, you're right. I missed that in the output in your earlier mail.
          Hopefully Ben's suggestions help. I just checked with a friend of
          mine that has a PPC mac, and has the devtools installed, but his Perl
          Dynaloader.a is also a ppc bin. And, his system versions of the
          python lib (/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
          Python) and ruby lib (/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib) are also ppc only.

          The reason that you can compile in Python into a universal bin and
          not anything else is that Python is a framework, and is thus shipped
          with the 10.4u SDK, so you link against (/Developer/SDKs/
          MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
          2.3/Python).

          One thing that my friend mentioned, which makes sense, is that when
          the PPC version of 10.4 came out, Apple hadn't shipped the Intel Macs
          yet, so nothing came as a universal bin. So that's probably why your
          PPC mac doesn't have universal libs for the system libs.

          -- Bem Jones-Bey (bem@...)

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
            On 03/02/2008, Bem Jones-Bey <bem@...> wrote:

            > On Feb 3, 2008, at 4:17, björn wrote:
            >
            > > I very much doubt it has anything to do with my environment
            > > variables...it looks more like I don't have a universal version of the
            > > Perl libraries for some reason. In any case, my output from set is:
            >
            > Yeah, you're right. I missed that in the output in your earlier mail.
            > Hopefully Ben's suggestions help. I just checked with a friend of
            > mine that has a PPC mac, and has the devtools installed, but his Perl
            > Dynaloader.a is also a ppc bin. And, his system versions of the
            > python lib (/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
            > Python) and ruby lib (/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib) are also ppc only.
            >
            > The reason that you can compile in Python into a universal bin and
            > not anything else is that Python is a framework, and is thus shipped
            > with the 10.4u SDK, so you link against (/Developer/SDKs/
            > MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
            > 2.3/Python).

            I see, I thought it a bit strange that Python would work and not Perl...

            > One thing that my friend mentioned, which makes sense, is that when
            > the PPC version of 10.4 came out, Apple hadn't shipped the Intel Macs
            > yet, so nothing came as a universal bin. So that's probably why your
            > PPC mac doesn't have universal libs for the system libs.

            Yes, that is true. But annoying.

            I compiled Perl 5.8.8 manually as a universal binary, but
            unfortunately the configure script doesn't accept it. The following
            is the output from ./configure --enable-gui=macvim
            --with-mac-arch=both --enable-perlinterp:

            checking --enable-perlinterp argument... yes
            checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
            checking Perl version... OK
            checking if compile and link flags for Perl are sane... no: PERL DISABLED

            So it finds Perl (in /usr/local where I put it), but then says the
            compile and link flags aren't sane...what is that supposed to mean?
            Any ideas? (I tried looking at the configure script, but I do not
            understand it at all.)

            Anyway, I am about to give up on this...it is taking too much time.
            If I ever can afford an upgrade to an Intel Mac I will start building
            the snapshots with more languages supported, but for now I think I'll
            just stick with cscope/python/tcl since those are the only ones that
            work for me.

            /Björn

          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
              > Anyway, I am about to give up on this...it is taking too much time.
              > If I ever can afford an upgrade to an Intel Mac I will start building
              > the snapshots with more languages supported, but for now I think I'll
              > just stick with cscope/python/tcl since those are the only ones that
              > work for me.

              Why doesn't one of us with an Intel machine just tar/zip up our universal
              /System/Library/Perl along with /usr/bin/perl* and send it to you? You can backup
              what you currently have, just in case, then drop the new stuff in, and it'd
              probably 'just work'. It's not like it's Apple proprietory or anything.

              And I think the same would work for ruby, if we give you /usr/bin/ruby plus
              /usr/lib/libruby* plus /usr/lib/ruby. It seems to include headers, and
              deinstalling my MacPorts ruby MacVim still builds OK.

              So...I've tar.bz2'ed all the above it and it weighs in at 14.7 MB. Interested in
              giving it a try, Bjorn?

              Ben.

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                On 04/02/2008, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

                > > Anyway, I am about to give up on this...it is taking too much time.
                > > If I ever can afford an upgrade to an Intel Mac I will start building
                > > the snapshots with more languages supported, but for now I think I'll
                > > just stick with cscope/python/tcl since those are the only ones that
                > > work for me.
                >
                > Why doesn't one of us with an Intel machine just tar/zip up our universal
                > /System/Library/Perl along with /usr/bin/perl* and send it to you? You can backup
                > what you currently have, just in case, then drop the new stuff in, and it'd
                > probably 'just work'. It's not like it's Apple proprietory or anything.
                >
                > And I think the same would work for ruby, if we give you /usr/bin/ruby plus
                > /usr/lib/libruby* plus /usr/lib/ruby. It seems to include headers, and
                > deinstalling my MacPorts ruby MacVim still builds OK.
                >
                > So...I've tar.bz2'ed all the above it and it weighs in at 14.7 MB. Interested in
                > giving it a try, Bjorn?

                Thanks Ben. I'm not sure it will work to send me such a large
                attachement in an email...but unless you another way of making it
                available to me I guess we could try?

                /Björn

              • Matt Tolton
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                  > Thanks Ben. I'm not sure it will work to send me such a large
                  > attachement in an email...but unless you another way of making it
                  > available to me I guess we could try?

                  Gmail supports up to 20 MB attachments, as far as I know.

                • Ben Schmidt
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                    >> So...I've tar.bz2'ed all the above it and it weighs in at 14.7 MB. Interested in
                    >> giving it a try, Bjorn?
                    >
                    > Thanks Ben. I'm not sure it will work to send me such a large
                    > attachement in an email...but unless you another way of making it
                    > available to me I guess we could try?

                    Yeah. My outgoing email would choke on it, too, Bjorn. I'm putting it at

                    http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2

                    I have slow uploads from here, too, so it'll chug along for a while but should be
                    well and truly fully uploaded by Feb 5 1:00 AM GMT. Its md5 checksum should be

                    schmidt:personal $ openssl md5 perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2
                    MD5(perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2)= 1a9d970941db9d461bb2672f0caed07a

                    Off to have breakfast and go to work!

                    Cheers,

                    Ben.

                  • Ben Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                      > http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2

                      Hmmph. Something in that file name must trigger some access rule on the
                      server...moved to

                      http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/pl+rb-univ.tar.bz2

                      Checksum the same as previously posted, of course.

                      Ben.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 5, 2008
                        On 05/02/2008, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

                        > > http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/perl+ruby-universal.tar.bz2
                        >
                        > Hmmph. Something in that file name must trigger some access rule on the
                        > server...moved to
                        >
                        > http://www.northbalwynbaptist.org/personal/pl+rb-univ.tar.bz2
                        >
                        > Checksum the same as previously posted, of course.

                        I just got it...checksum matches and all...so you can safely remove
                        the download now. I will let you know how/if it works.

                        Thanks,