Re: how to get "gettext" work for Mac-Compilation?

  • Sébastien Pierre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2002
      Le mercredi 26 juin 2002, à 03:50 PM, MURAOKA Taro a écrit :

      >> I think that a good way to solve the problem would be to look for a
      >> fink
      >> installation and if iconv() is availaible. If so, then iconv should be
      >> used by GVim so that encodings would work properly.
      >
      > I don't think so. Windows is very poor at encoding conversion, so using
      > external library dynamically (iconv.dll) could become a good solution on
      > Windows. This is similar way what you suggested.
      >
      > But, MacOSX has very powerful encoding support. User should be allowed
      > to convert without any other external libraries. An external library is
      > not always available on system, it must be installed by user. It's
      > slightly trouble. But MacOSX API is always there.
      >
      > Using MacOSX's API wouldn't be easy way, but I think it would be enough
      > worth to try and work on it.

      yes, your solution seems to be the most coherent one. Maybe in the
      meantime it would be cool to use iconv, so that I could use CarbonVim
      instead of XVim. For the moment I am bound to use XVim because I need to
      write documents in latin-1 (working with other developers/documents in
      french processed by typesetting engine, etc.)

      can't wait for your next patch :)

      -- Sébastien

      --
      «My friends says we're like the dinosaurs, only we are doing
      ourselves in much faster than they ever did.»