Re: how to get "gettext" work for Mac-Compilation?

  • Sébastien Pierre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2002
      Le mercredi 26 juin 2002, à 11:09 AM, MURAOKA Taro a écrit :

      >> makefile would look if gettext() is available, because the alternate
      >> implementation using Cocoa i18n text services does not seem to work.
      >
      > Do you mean my previous patch?
      >
      > http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/VimMacOSXIconvMakeSet.tar.bz2

      I think so as I tested it right after your announce. To be sure that
      encoding conversion work you can edit a file with "fileencoding=latin1"
      and "fileencoding=macroman" that contains an "é" or any accentuated
      character. Then edit your file with OS X standard vi in terminal. You
      should have the same file for latin1 as the one edited with terminal.

      I think that a good way to solve the problem would be to look for a fink
      installation and if iconv() is availaible. If so, then iconv should be
      used by GVim so that encodings would work properly.

      -- Sébastien

      --
      «Too old to be alternative, too alternative to be old.»
      <http://www.type-z.org> | Robert Smith, talking about his epitaph.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2002
        > I think so as I tested it right after your announce. To be sure that
        > encoding conversion work you can edit a file with "fileencoding=latin1"
        > and "fileencoding=macroman" that contains an "e" or any accentuated
        > character. Then edit your file with OS X standard vi in terminal. You
        > should have the same file for latin1 as the one edited with terminal.

        Ah. my patch has no entry for default latin1. So it would be fail when
        try to convert encoding between "macroman" and "latin1". I'll fix and
        test it. I attempt to use "ISOLatin1" for alias of "latin1".
        # "ISOLatin1" is one of encodings which MacOSX supported.

        > I think that a good way to solve the problem would be to look for a fink
        > installation and if iconv() is availaible. If so, then iconv should be
        > used by GVim so that encodings would work properly.

        I don't think so. Windows is very poor at encoding conversion, so using
        external library dynamically (iconv.dll) could become a good solution on
        Windows. This is similar way what you suggested.

        But, MacOSX has very powerful encoding support. User should be allowed
        to convert without any other external libraries. An external library is
        not always available on system, it must be installed by user. It's
        slightly trouble. But MacOSX API is always there.

        Using MacOSX's API wouldn't be easy way, but I think it would be enough
        worth to try and work on it.
        ----
        MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
      • Sébastien Pierre
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2002
          Le mercredi 26 juin 2002, à 03:50 PM, MURAOKA Taro a écrit :

          >> I think that a good way to solve the problem would be to look for a
          >> fink
          >> installation and if iconv() is availaible. If so, then iconv should be
          >> used by GVim so that encodings would work properly.
          >
          > I don't think so. Windows is very poor at encoding conversion, so using
          > external library dynamically (iconv.dll) could become a good solution on
          > Windows. This is similar way what you suggested.
          >
          > But, MacOSX has very powerful encoding support. User should be allowed
          > to convert without any other external libraries. An external library is
          > not always available on system, it must be installed by user. It's
          > slightly trouble. But MacOSX API is always there.
          >
          > Using MacOSX's API wouldn't be easy way, but I think it would be enough
          > worth to try and work on it.

          yes, your solution seems to be the most coherent one. Maybe in the
          meantime it would be cool to use iconv, so that I could use CarbonVim
          instead of XVim. For the moment I am bound to use XVim because I need to
          write documents in latin-1 (working with other developers/documents in
          french processed by typesetting engine, etc.)

          can't wait for your next patch :)

          -- Sébastien

          --
          «My friends says we're like the dinosaurs, only we are doing
          ourselves in much faster than they ever did.»