Re: Cursor in Macvim

  • yvonne thomson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2008

      > I have attached a patch which actually works better than my first
      > experiments.  With it you can always hear where the cursor is (in any
      > mode, not only insert), but it does not compare to the voice over
      > support that e.g. TextEdit has.
      >
      > You will have to build your own binary and apply this patch.  The
      > instructions on how to get and compile the source is here:
      >
      > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Building
      >
      > You should be able to follow the instructions on "Building MacVim from
      > the Git repository", but run
      >
      > git-apply 0001-Send-cursor-position-on-each-batch-draw.patch
      >
      > before compiling (with correct paths if the patch file is not in the
      > source code dir).  Let me know how/if it works.
      >
      > /Björn

      Thanks a lot for this. Looks like it'll take me a bit of work to
      compile it, but I'll get back to you with some comments once I have.
    • yvonne thomson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2008
        Hi again.

        Well, that actually didn't take me quite as long as I thought, even
        *if* I had to compile git as well as macvim, <grin>.

        To be honest with you, believe it or not, that patch *might* just work
        well enough for me to use the editor. I'm a bit uncertain, at least
        partly because I've only just started using vim, as I said before, I
        was addicted to Emacs for *years* before I hit the Mac and so I have
        to admit that I'm still working through tutorials. My initial, very
        quick and nasty tests, though, look reasonable. I can cursor through
        documents and see what I'm doing with the arrow keys in all modes, and
        the cursor always seems to be where I expect it to be which is a vast
        improvement.

        About the only disconcerting thing so far is having blank lines
        pronounced as a group of spaces, which I imagine is some kind of side
        effect of how they're written to the screen, or something, but as
        problems go, I don't think it's going to be a major usability
        headache.

        So, basically, my plan is to try and learn to use vim, <grin>. If
        you're interested, I'll get back to you with any results in a bit,
        once I know what the heck I'm doing with the editor.
      • Matt Tolton
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2008
          Yvonne,

          Out of curiosity, have you tried using Aquamacs? It's a port of emacs
          for OS X which is Aqua-native. I wonder how well it works with the
          VoiceOver APIs. Not to discourage you from learning vim, but it might
          be easier to use a program that you feel comfortable with if it works
          with VoiceOver.

          Here's the URL: http://aquamacs.org/

          Regards,

          Matt

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2008
            On Jan 30, 10:45 am, "Matt Tolton" <m...@...> wrote:
            > Yvonne,
            >
            > Out of curiosity, have you tried using Aquamacs?  It's a port of emacs
            > for OS X which is Aqua-native.  I wonder how well it works with the
            > VoiceOver APIs.  Not to discourage you from learning vim, but it might
            > be easier to use a program that you feel comfortable with if it works
            > with VoiceOver.

            Hi.

            You're completely correct, and that was one of the first things I
            tried, except that in that case, I completely can't see the edit
            window, never mind the cursor, <grin>.

            I'm planning on writing to them as well, naturally. Honestly, trying
            to find a good editor for a programmer on OS X is turning out to be
            one of the biggest annoyances I've run into. Basic editors are easy to
            find that work, but the good ones, the scriptable ones, the ones I
            want to use as a programmer just don't work. Grrrr. <grin>.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2008
              On 30/01/2008, yvonne thomson <yvonne@...> wrote:

              > So, basically, my plan is to try and learn to use vim, <grin>. If
              > you're interested, I'll get back to you with any results in a bit,
              > once I know what the heck I'm doing with the editor.

              Please, do tell me what works and what doesn't work. Unless it
              requires too much effort we might be able to make MacVim usable with
              VoiceOver.

              /Björn