Re: MacVim 5.6.70 released

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2000
      On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 09:53:55PM +0100, Leedsnet wrote:
      :>Eugene Lee wrote:
      :> >
      :> > I have a serious problem with this MacVim 5.6.70. When I started it up,
      :> > it would always die and drop into MacsBug. It's very difficult to exit
      :> > the app from there.
      :
      :What happens when you try the command
      : es

      That's the command I use in MacsBug. So what happens is basically what
      I had explained before:

      :> > Most of the time, it wouldn't and I'd have to
      :> > reboot (usually via MacsBug,

      More specifically, the MacsBug command "rb".

      :> > but sometimes ctrl-cmd-pwr) . If it does
      :> > exit, it does so with a Type 2 error.

      [...]

      :> > Please add me to your list of known MacVim users. Thanks!
      :
      :What is the current count of MacVim users. I use BBEdit.

      A friend of mine swears by it. But I'm very much a VI person, and
      doesn't support VI key commands.

      :Arguably applications should not use files staring '.', as very old Mac systems
      :considered them to be drivers, and some disk utilities report them as errors.

      Ahhh, didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2000
        At 09:21 AM 5/12/00, Eugene Lee wrote:
        >:> > I have a serious problem with this MacVim 5.6.70. When I started it up,
        >:> > it would always die and drop into MacsBug. It's very difficult to exit
        >:> > the application from there.
        >:
        >:What happens when you try the command
        >: es
        >
        >That's the command I use in MacsBug. So what happens is basically what
        >I had explained before:

        Thanks. I missed the start of this. es (exit to shell) causes control to be
        passed back to the finder and for the foreground process's resources to be
        released. This will not work if vital memory structures are corrupt. it also
        fails (or fails through that reason) under some circumstances if the foreground
        process is handing an elaborate apple event or is deeply involved in shared
        libraries. (Try doing an es out of Stuffit Deluxe).

        Generally, failure to respond to es indicates something that could be improved
        in a program & it would be nice to make vi as friendly and compliant as
        possible.

        Ben.
      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2000
          On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:16:50PM +0100, Ben Fowler wrote:
          :
          :Generally, failure to respond to es indicates something that could be
          :improved in a program & it would be nice to make vi as friendly and
          :compliant as possible.

          So are there any plans to make MacVim Carbon-comliant? :)

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2000
            At 19:41 Uhr +0200 2000-05-12, Eugene Lee wrote:
            >On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:16:50PM +0100, Ben Fowler wrote:
            >:
            >:Generally, failure to respond to es indicates something that could be
            >:improved in a program & it would be nice to make vi as friendly and
            >:compliant as possible.
            >
            >So are there any plans to make MacVim Carbon-comliant? :)

            ATM about 15% of the calls MacVim makes are not compatible with carbon. I
            think this should get high priority.

            Axel

            --
            Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
            than children do from infancy