Re: Compiling vim 5.8.9 under non-carbon environment

  • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      At 15:48 Uhr +0900 2002-05-30, Kenichi Asai wrote:
      >Dear vim-mac experts,
      >
      >I am trying to compile vim 5.8 (with patches 5.8.0 to 5.8.9) using
      >CodeWarrior Professional release 5 on PowerBook G3 with MacOS 8.1.
      >(I am trying to make the last version of *multibyte* vim before 6.0.)

      I have just checked, I can build 5.8 with CW Pro2 without problems.
      I will get the patches to 5.8.9 and try that as well.

      But this is probably not your problem.
      You need recent Universal Header definitons from Apple.
      I'm using 3.4 from the Carbon SDK.

      In my defs.h file I have:

      /* Dummy defs.h */
      /* Define if you have the strftime() function. */
      #define HAVE_STRFTIME

      /* Don't use old names */
      #define OLDROUTINENAMES 0

      /* Compile Carbon Application */
      #define TARGET_API_MAC_CARBON 0

      /* compile MacOS Application */
      #define TARGET_API_MAC_OS8 1

      which definetly builds a Classic Vim.

      Axel
    • Kenichi Asai
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2002
        Axel says:

        > You need recent Universal Header definitons from Apple.
        > I'm using 3.4 from the Carbon SDK.

        Thank you for the information. (I knew (and still know almost)
        nothing about internals of MacOS.) I tried on iMac with MacOS 9:

        - Installed CarbonLib 1.6 from Apple,
        - Installed Universal Interfaces 3.4.1 to CodeWarrior Release 5,
        - Rebuild MacHeaders,
        - Rebuild MSL libraries (but SIOUX could not be built with some
        errors),
        - Link against various libraries (including CarbonLib)

        but still I could not build vim 5.8.9. If I link against CanbonLib,
        then I can obtain a binary, but if I launch it, it says ">>CarbonLib<<
        is missing" (with ">>" and "<<").

        > In my defs.h file I have:

        I also included this in my features.h, but the situation is the same.

        Axel, may I ask you to compile a +multibyte VimPPC 5.8.9 and send it
        to me for my personal use? (Or if the new ftp site for Mac vim
        include +multibyte binaries for 5.8.9, too, that's also fine.)
        I tried to build multibyte vim 5.8.9 and make it public, but I almost
        gave up. Or do someone see anything else I can try?

        # I know I lack knowledge and skills on the compilation on Macintosh
        # in general, but I think this shows it is quite hard to compile vim
        # 5.8.9 on Macintosh with the current distribution. I hope some
        # useful instruction be included in the distribution...

        Sincerely,

        ---
        Kenichi Asai