Compiling vim 5.8.9 under non-carbon environment

  • Kenichi Asai
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2002
      Dear vim-mac experts,

      I am trying to compile vim 5.8 (with patches 5.8.0 to 5.8.9) using
      CodeWarrior Professional release 5 on PowerBook G3 with MacOS 8.1.
      (I am trying to make the last version of *multibyte* vim before 6.0.)

      However, I got errors when compiling gui_mac.c. The first error I got
      is that the variable MenuItemIndex is undeclared. After I include:

      typedef UInt16 MenuItemIndex;

      into gui_mac.c, I still got the following errors:

      function has no prototype: NewControlActionUPP (line 603)
      cannot convert 'int' to 'struct RoutineDescriptor *' for line 604:
      gScrollDrag = NewControlActionUPP (gui_mac_drag_thumb);
      function has no prototype: SetPortDialogPort (line 2709)

      It seems that all these errors come from the support for carbon
      versions. But I think it is worth making vim *before* 6.0 to compile
      under non-carbon environment. Can anyone make them compilable in my
      environment? (Or should I go back to vim 5.7.9 which I compiled last
      year?)

      Thanks in advance!

      Sincerely,

      ---
      Kenichi Asai
    • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4 8:22 AM
        At 15:48 Uhr +0900 2002-05-30, Kenichi Asai wrote:
        >Dear vim-mac experts,
        >
        >I am trying to compile vim 5.8 (with patches 5.8.0 to 5.8.9) using
        >CodeWarrior Professional release 5 on PowerBook G3 with MacOS 8.1.
        >(I am trying to make the last version of *multibyte* vim before 6.0.)

        I have just checked, I can build 5.8 with CW Pro2 without problems.
        I will get the patches to 5.8.9 and try that as well.

        But this is probably not your problem.
        You need recent Universal Header definitons from Apple.
        I'm using 3.4 from the Carbon SDK.

        In my defs.h file I have:

        /* Dummy defs.h */
        /* Define if you have the strftime() function. */
        #define HAVE_STRFTIME

        /* Don't use old names */
        #define OLDROUTINENAMES 0

        /* Compile Carbon Application */
        #define TARGET_API_MAC_CARBON 0

        /* compile MacOS Application */
        #define TARGET_API_MAC_OS8 1

        which definetly builds a Classic Vim.

        Axel
      • Kenichi Asai
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2002
          Axel says:

          > You need recent Universal Header definitons from Apple.
          > I'm using 3.4 from the Carbon SDK.

          Thank you for the information. (I knew (and still know almost)
          nothing about internals of MacOS.) I tried on iMac with MacOS 9:

          - Installed CarbonLib 1.6 from Apple,
          - Installed Universal Interfaces 3.4.1 to CodeWarrior Release 5,
          - Rebuild MacHeaders,
          - Rebuild MSL libraries (but SIOUX could not be built with some
          errors),
          - Link against various libraries (including CarbonLib)

          but still I could not build vim 5.8.9. If I link against CanbonLib,
          then I can obtain a binary, but if I launch it, it says ">>CarbonLib<<
          is missing" (with ">>" and "<<").

          > In my defs.h file I have:

          I also included this in my features.h, but the situation is the same.

          Axel, may I ask you to compile a +multibyte VimPPC 5.8.9 and send it
          to me for my personal use? (Or if the new ftp site for Mac vim
          include +multibyte binaries for 5.8.9, too, that's also fine.)
          I tried to build multibyte vim 5.8.9 and make it public, but I almost
          gave up. Or do someone see anything else I can try?

          # I know I lack knowledge and skills on the compilation on Macintosh
          # in general, but I think this shows it is quite hard to compile vim
          # 5.8.9 on Macintosh with the current distribution. I hope some
          # useful instruction be included in the distribution...

          Sincerely,

          ---
          Kenichi Asai