new Carbon vim with file encoding, "new" icons

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2002
      I just uploaded vim6.1.081+.tar.gz to my iDisk,

      http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html

      The + is for the following changes:

      1. I included Bram's unofficial patch to enable has("macunix") and
      related features. Come to think of it, does this do all I want? I
      would like to have a single vimrc file, and use it in a Terminal, with
      the Carbon GUI, or under XDarwin. I want some behavior to change
      between the three. I suppose that, if I use different binaries for
      XDarwin and Carbon (and, for now, I have no other choice) then these
      has() values are enough. Eventually, we may have a single binary that
      can run in a terminal or in either GUI. (Already, the Carbon binary
      and, I think, the XDarwin binary can also run in a terminal.) When that
      happens, will the has() options be enough?

      Anyway, I tested: has("mac") and has("gui_mac") and has("macunix")
      all return 1. (BTW, I lost the patch and had to get it from the vim-dev
      archives, then run patch with the -l (ignore changes in white space)
      option. Ugh. Can someone send me a clean version?)

      2. I included Taro-san's patch to emulate iconv character conversions.
      Please test this and/or tell me how I should. I copied an é from an
      e-mail into the Vim buffer, and it looked the same in Vim.app as in
      Mail.app, and "ga" told me that this character has code x8e, but this
      does not seem like a conclusive test.

      3. I included Douglas Stebila's icons in Vim.app/Contents/Resources/
      (and renamed them). The icon for the application works: it no longer
      looks "grainy" when I select Vim.app in the Finder. I still have not
      been able to convince a file created by Vim to show up with one of the
      other icons. If we are real lucky, some combination of unpacking a
      fresh copy of the application, restarting the Finder, and so on will fix
      the problem, but I am not optimistic. If I have time, I will look at
      the links that Raindog posted last December,

      > Incidentally, here's a tech note that describes some of the settings in
      > Info.plist:
      > <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/InfoPlist.html>,
      > and here's more than you probably want to know about the subject:
      > <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/SoftwareConfig/
      > Information_perty_Lists.html>.

      but feel free to beat me to it! ;)

      --Benji Fisher