Re: CarbonVim encoding problem

  • Sébastien Pierre
    Message 1 of 14 , May 26, 2002
      Le dimanche 26 mai 2002, à 04:03 AM, Benji Fisher a écrit :

      > On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 02:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >

      >> Sébastien Pierre wrote:
      >>
      >>> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
      >>> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
      >>
      >> Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
      >
      > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv"
      > to the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can
      > add at compile time?

      For people who have Fink (like me), libiconv is available. The problem
      is that when you add -I/sw/include in CarbonVim makefile there are "gcc
      duplicate declaration" errors. Iconv is a compilation option, so if you
      know how to enable the makefile to look for additional libs in /sw/lib
      and headers in /sw/include, this would be perfect :)

      Thanks,

      -- Sébastien.

      --
      «Big lies, big times / This love is not what we're about / It's
      too late, and I'm too straight / It's time to blow this fire
      Message 2 of 14 , May 26, 2002
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > > Sébastien Pierre wrote:
        > >
        > >> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
        > >> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
        > >
        > > Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
        >
        > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv" to
        > the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can add at
        > compile time?

        If you do have the iconv library, configure should find it
        automatically. However, I don't know if this works on the mac. You
        could try defining USE_ICONV and see what happens. Perhaps define
        HAVE_ICONV_H as well.

        Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
        who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
        dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
        for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

        > > --
        > > Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
        > > A: Depends on which has more bugs.
        >
        > I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
        > people bothered by each bug. ;)

        Then I need someone else to clean my house! :-)

        60. As your car crashes through the guardrail on a mountain road, your first
        instinct is to search for the "back" button.

      • MURAOKA Taro
        Message 3 of 14 , May 26, 2002
          > Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
          > who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
          > dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
          > for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

          MacOS X (Carbon) has a set of APIs which called "Text Encoding
          Conversion Manager". It works as like as iconv library. So I have
          wrote iconv emulation layer for MacOS X using these APIs, and now I am
          testing for Vim. This emulation layer is not so big as iconv library is,
          so it could be included in vim.

          Please try below patch and Makefile.
          http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/VimMacOSXIconvMakeSet.tar.bz2

          In this layer, I add some aliases for Japansese encoding name. I'm
          glad, if anyone add aliases for another languages (ex. Chinese, Korean)

          Regards.
          ----
          MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>