Re: CarbonVim encoding problem

    Message 1 of 14 , May 25 7:03 PM
      On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 02:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Sébastien Pierre wrote:
      >
      >> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
      >> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
      >
      > Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.

      Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv" to
      the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can add at
      compile time?

      > --
      > Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
      > A: Depends on which has more bugs.

      I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
      people bothered by each bug. ;)

      --Benji Fisher
    • mc
      Message 2 of 14 , May 25 8:09 PM
        >> Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
        >> A: Depends on which has more bugs.
        >
        > I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
        > people bothered by each bug. ;)

        ... and divide by a function of the distance of the bothered people from
        the bugs in the house
      • Sébastien Pierre
        Message 3 of 14 , May 26 1:52 AM
          Le dimanche 26 mai 2002, à 04:03 AM, Benji Fisher a écrit :

          > On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 02:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >

          >> Sébastien Pierre wrote:
          >>
          >>> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
          >>> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
          >>
          >> Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
          >
          > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv"
          > to the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can
          > add at compile time?

          For people who have Fink (like me), libiconv is available. The problem
          is that when you add -I/sw/include in CarbonVim makefile there are "gcc
          duplicate declaration" errors. Iconv is a compilation option, so if you
          know how to enable the makefile to look for additional libs in /sw/lib
          and headers in /sw/include, this would be perfect :)

          Thanks,

          -- Sébastien.

          --
          «Big lies, big times / This love is not what we're about / It's
          too late, and I'm too straight / It's time to blow this fire
          Message 4 of 14 , May 26 3:31 AM
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > > Sébastien Pierre wrote:
            > >
            > >> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
            > >> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
            > >
            > > Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
            >
            > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv" to
            > the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can add at
            > compile time?

            If you do have the iconv library, configure should find it
            automatically. However, I don't know if this works on the mac. You
            could try defining USE_ICONV and see what happens. Perhaps define
            HAVE_ICONV_H as well.

            Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
            who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
            dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
            for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

            > > --
            > > Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
            > > A: Depends on which has more bugs.
            >
            > I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
            > people bothered by each bug. ;)

            Then I need someone else to clean my house! :-)

            60. As your car crashes through the guardrail on a mountain road, your first
            instinct is to search for the "back" button.

          • MURAOKA Taro
            Message 5 of 14 , May 26 4:23 AM
              > Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
              > who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
              > dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
              > for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

              MacOS X (Carbon) has a set of APIs which called "Text Encoding
              Conversion Manager". It works as like as iconv library. So I have
              wrote iconv emulation layer for MacOS X using these APIs, and now I am
              testing for Vim. This emulation layer is not so big as iconv library is,
              so it could be included in vim.

              Please try below patch and Makefile.
              http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/VimMacOSXIconvMakeSet.tar.bz2

              In this layer, I add some aliases for Japansese encoding name. I'm
              glad, if anyone add aliases for another languages (ex. Chinese, Korean)

              Regards.
              ----
              MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>