Re: CarbonVim encoding problem

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 14 , May 25, 2002
      Sébastien Pierre wrote:

      > I can't remember nor find in the manual how to do that (echo just

      :set fileencoding

      > I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
      > may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?

      Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.

      --
      Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
      A: Depends on which has more bugs.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 25, 2002
        On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 02:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Sébastien Pierre wrote:
        >
        >> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
        >> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
        >
        > Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.

        Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv" to
        the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can add at
        compile time?

        > --
        > Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
        > A: Depends on which has more bugs.

        I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
        people bothered by each bug. ;)

        --Benji Fisher
      • mc
        Message 3 of 14 , May 25, 2002
          >> Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
          >> A: Depends on which has more bugs.
          >
          > I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
          > people bothered by each bug. ;)

          ... and divide by a function of the distance of the bothered people from
          the bugs in the house
        • Sébastien Pierre
          Message 4 of 14 , May 26, 2002
            Le dimanche 26 mai 2002, à 04:03 AM, Benji Fisher a écrit :

            > On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 02:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >

            >> Sébastien Pierre wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
            >>> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
            >>
            >> Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
            >
            > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv"
            > to the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can
            > add at compile time?

            For people who have Fink (like me), libiconv is available. The problem
            is that when you add -I/sw/include in CarbonVim makefile there are "gcc
            duplicate declaration" errors. Iconv is a compilation option, so if you
            know how to enable the makefile to look for additional libs in /sw/lib
            and headers in /sw/include, this would be perfect :)

            Thanks,

            -- Sébastien.

            --
            «Big lies, big times / This love is not what we're about / It's
            too late, and I'm too straight / It's time to blow this fire
            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2002
              Benji Fisher wrote:

              > > Sébastien Pierre wrote:
              > >
              > >> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
              > >> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
              > >
              > > Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
              >
              > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv" to
              > the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can add at
              > compile time?

              If you do have the iconv library, configure should find it
              automatically. However, I don't know if this works on the mac. You
              could try defining USE_ICONV and see what happens. Perhaps define
              HAVE_ICONV_H as well.

              Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
              who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
              dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
              for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

              > > --
              > > Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
              > > A: Depends on which has more bugs.
              >
              > I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
              > people bothered by each bug. ;)

              Then I need someone else to clean my house! :-)

              60. As your car crashes through the guardrail on a mountain road, your first
              instinct is to search for the "back" button.

            • MURAOKA Taro
              Message 6 of 14 , May 26, 2002
                > Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
                > who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
                > dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
                > for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

                MacOS X (Carbon) has a set of APIs which called "Text Encoding
                Conversion Manager". It works as like as iconv library. So I have
                wrote iconv emulation layer for MacOS X using these APIs, and now I am
                testing for Vim. This emulation layer is not so big as iconv library is,
                so it could be included in vim.

                Please try below patch and Makefile.
                http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/VimMacOSXIconvMakeSet.tar.bz2

                In this layer, I add some aliases for Japansese encoding name. I'm
                glad, if anyone add aliases for another languages (ex. Chinese, Korean)

                Regards.
                ----
                MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>