Re: CarbonVim encoding problem

  • Sébastien Pierre
    Message 1 of 14 , May 25, 2002
      Hi!

      Le samedi 25 mai 2002, à 01:27 PM, Bram Moolenaar a écrit :
      > When 'termencoding' is equal to 'encoding' or empty no conversion is
      > done.

      I tried:

      set termencoding=8bit-MacRoman
      set encoding=latin-1
      set fileencodings=8bit-MacRoman

      and also tried to remove the termencoding. Both did no solve the
      problem: I still have <8E> instead of <E9>.

      >> Removing the termencoding in my .vimrc did not change anything,
      >> removing
      >> latin-1 from the filencodings did nothing as well.
      >
      > Did you check the value of 'fileencoding' after loading a file?

      I can't remember nor find in the manual how to do that (echo just
      doesn't work with this kind of... variable?). I also tested with
      :fileencoding=latin-1 and :e --enc=latin 1 with the above configuration,
      and I still got the <8E>.

      I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
      may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?

      Thanks,

      -- Sébastien.

      --
      «Le soleil est Dieu»
      <http://www.type-z.org> -- Turner, avant de mourir
      Message 2 of 14 , May 25, 2002
        Sébastien Pierre wrote:

        > I can't remember nor find in the manual how to do that (echo just

        :set fileencoding

        > I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
        > may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?

        Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.

        --
        Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
        A: Depends on which has more bugs.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 25, 2002
          On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 02:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Sébastien Pierre wrote:
          >
          >> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
          >> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
          >
          > Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.

          Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv" to
          the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can add at
          compile time?

          > --
          > Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
          > A: Depends on which has more bugs.

          I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
          people bothered by each bug. ;)

          --Benji Fisher
        • mc
          Message 4 of 14 , May 25, 2002
            >> Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
            >> A: Depends on which has more bugs.
            >
            > I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
            > people bothered by each bug. ;)

            ... and divide by a function of the distance of the bothered people from
            the bugs in the house
          • Sébastien Pierre
            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2002
              Le dimanche 26 mai 2002, à 04:03 AM, Benji Fisher a écrit :

              > On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 02:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >

              >> Sébastien Pierre wrote:
              >>
              >>> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
              >>> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
              >>
              >> Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
              >
              > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv"
              > to the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can
              > add at compile time?

              For people who have Fink (like me), libiconv is available. The problem
              is that when you add -I/sw/include in CarbonVim makefile there are "gcc
              duplicate declaration" errors. Iconv is a compilation option, so if you
              know how to enable the makefile to look for additional libs in /sw/lib
              and headers in /sw/include, this would be perfect :)

              Thanks,

              -- Sébastien.

              --
              «Big lies, big times / This love is not what we're about / It's
              too late, and I'm too straight / It's time to blow this fire
              Message 6 of 14 , May 26, 2002
                Benji Fisher wrote:

                > > Sébastien Pierre wrote:
                > >
                > >> I have checked with :version, and iconv has not been compiled in. This
                > >> may be the reason why the encodings do not work properly?
                > >
                > > Yes, without iconv no conversion is possible.
                >
                > Should I add something like "Enable font conversions with iconv" to
                > the list of bugs on my web page? Or is this something that I can add at
                > compile time?

                If you do have the iconv library, configure should find it
                automatically. However, I don't know if this works on the mac. You
                could try defining USE_ICONV and see what happens. Perhaps define
                HAVE_ICONV_H as well.

                Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
                who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
                dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
                for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

                > > --
                > > Q: How to decide if I should clean my house or work on improving Vim?
                > > A: Depends on which has more bugs.
                >
                > I think you should multiply the number of bugs by the number of
                > people bothered by each bug. ;)

                Then I need someone else to clean my house! :-)

                60. As your car crashes through the guardrail on a mountain road, your first
                instinct is to search for the "back" button.

              • MURAOKA Taro
                Message 7 of 14 , May 26, 2002
                  > Another problem is that you might have the iconv library, but someone
                  > who runs your compiled binary doesn't. The best way to solve this is by
                  > dynamically loading the library. But currently this is only implemented
                  > for MS-Windows. Would be a great help to have this on more systems!

                  MacOS X (Carbon) has a set of APIs which called "Text Encoding
                  Conversion Manager". It works as like as iconv library. So I have
                  wrote iconv emulation layer for MacOS X using these APIs, and now I am
                  testing for Vim. This emulation layer is not so big as iconv library is,
                  so it could be included in vim.

                  Please try below patch and Makefile.
                  http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/VimMacOSXIconvMakeSet.tar.bz2

                  In this layer, I add some aliases for Japansese encoding name. I'm
                  glad, if anyone add aliases for another languages (ex. Chinese, Korean)

                  Regards.
                  ----
                  MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>