:colorscheme bug in MacVim

  • Ted Pavlic
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      Does this make sense?

      When I load (graphical) MacVim (without any colorscheme loaded), and
      then issue:

      :colorscheme macvim

      Nothing happens. That is, "macvim" is the default colorscheme.

      So, then I issue:

      :colorscheme koehler

      and I get the koehler colorscheme. That's fine, but **THEN** I issue:

      :colorscheme macvim

      You'd expect I get the original macvim default colorscheme back. But
      INSTEAD I get a NEW colorscheme!

      I actually *LIKE* the new colorscheme BETTER than the macvim
      colorscheme. For one,

      :set cul

      actually works (and works well!).

      Thoughts?

      --Ted

      --
      Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        On 07/01/2008, Ted Pavlic <ted@...> wrote:

        > Does this make sense?
        >
        > When I load (graphical) MacVim (without any colorscheme loaded), and
        > then issue:
        >
        > :colorscheme macvim
        >
        > Nothing happens. That is, "macvim" is the default colorscheme.

        Yes, it is loaded in the system gvimrc: $VIM/gvimrc. You can open
        that file and see what is going on.

        > So, then I issue:
        >
        > :colorscheme koehler
        >
        > and I get the koehler colorscheme. That's fine, but **THEN** I issue:
        >
        > :colorscheme macvim
        >
        > You'd expect I get the original macvim default colorscheme back. But
        > INSTEAD I get a NEW colorscheme!
        >

        > I actually *LIKE* the new colorscheme BETTER than the macvim
        > colorscheme. For one,
        >
        > :set cul
        >
        > actually works (and works well!).
        >
        > Thoughts?

        Koehler is a dark color scheme so it sets bg=dark (see ":h 'bg'"),
        when you switch back to the macvim color scheme it will use the dark
        variant of that color scheme (it comes in both light and dark
        variants). So you could just add "set bg=dark" to your .gvimrc and
        you'll get the dark variant automatically. ;-)

        /Björn

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
          Neat.

          Any idea why the red background of misspelled words goes away when I do:

          :colorscheme koehler
          :colorscheme macvim
          :colorscheme vo_dark
          :colorscheme macvim