Re: Positioning cursor in remote MacVim

  • Ted Pavlic
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
      This works:

      --remote-silent +":12;foldo" blah.tex

      That is, execute :12 and then foldo, which opens one fold right at that
      line.

      Thanks for pointing that out.

      --Ted

      --
      Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
        Ted Pavlic wrote:
        > Ben --
        >
        > But, I don't want to open *all* folds. I only want to open a single
        > fold at a particular line (if it exists). Can you think of an easy way
        > to do that?

        O bother. How annoying. I thought :foldopen! would open all nested folds at the
        line, not all folds in the file.

        vim --remote-tab +99 +normal\ zv whatever.ext

        will do it, I think, though it's a bit uglier. But I guess if you're just putting
        it in a script anyway, it really won't matter!

        Cheers,

        Ben.

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
          FYI, that doesn't seem to work either.

          But this works:

          --remote-silent +":12;foldo" blah.tex

          Also, I just noticed that:

          --remote-tab-silent

          is not mentioned in --help. Maybe that should be added/fixed.

          --Ted

          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

        • Ted Pavlic
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
            Here's a blog explaining how to use this option (in Skim) to do inverse
            searches (with PDFSync or with the DVI source specials):

            http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/pdfsync-inverse-searches-in-macvim.html

            --Ted

            --
            Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
              Ted Pavlic wrote:
              > FYI, that doesn't seem to work either.

              How odd.

              > But this works:
              >
              > --remote-silent +":12;foldo" blah.tex

              That's cool as long as you don't have nested folds, I guess. Maybe the trick is
              giving it in a single '+' command, so perhaps

              --remote-silent +":12;normal zv" blah.tex

              would work for nested ones (if you ever find you need it).

              > Also, I just noticed that:
              >
              > --remote-tab-silent
              >
              > is not mentioned in --help. Maybe that should be added/fixed.

              It's in my version of the help. Maybe it wasn't in there in whatever version of
              the runtime files you have.

              Ben.

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
                Ben Schmidt wrote:
                > Ted Pavlic wrote:
                >> FYI, that doesn't seem to work either.
                >
                > How odd.
                >
                >> But this works:
                >>
                >> --remote-silent +":12;foldo" blah.tex
                >
                > That's cool as long as you don't have nested folds, I guess. Maybe the trick is
                > giving it in a single '+' command, so perhaps
                >
                > --remote-silent +":12;normal zv" blah.tex
                >
                > would work for nested ones (if you ever find you need it).
                >
                >> Also, I just noticed that:
                >>
                >> --remote-tab-silent
                >>
                >> is not mentioned in --help. Maybe that should be added/fixed.
                >
                > It's in my version of the help. Maybe it wasn't in there in whatever version of
                > the runtime files you have.

                No it isn't. I was looking in :help not --help after realising my default Vim
                hasn't got any of the remote stuff in --help (because it isn't compiled in). Oops.

                Ben.

              • Ted Pavlic
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
                  > That's cool as long as you don't have nested folds, I guess. Maybe
                  > the trick is giving it in a single '+' command, so perhaps
                  >
                  > --remote-silent +":12;normal zv" blah.tex
                  >
                  > would work for nested ones (if you ever find you need it).

                  OIC! I was a little confused. I get it now.

                  I like this, but it doesn't make vim active. So, I prefer something like
                  your original suggestion:

                  --remote-silent +':12;foldo!' blah.tex

                  Thanks! --
                  Ted