Re: "vim -u NONE" on Mac?

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2000
      On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:05:23AM +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
      :* Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000510 18:25]:
      :> >
      :> > How would you start MacVIM
      :> > *without* a setup file?
      :>
      :> I would move the executable to a folder
      :> where it could not find my vimrc.
      :
      :Well, if Vim looks for its prefs file
      :in the preferences folder then you'd
      :have to move that prefs file, too, right?

      Unless you run multiple instances of Vim, or are in a strange multi-user
      environment that requires different user settings of Vim, it's probably
      better to keep a single vimrc in the same folder as your MacVim binary.

      :> If there is actually a $VIM environment variable

      I thought that MacVim determines $VIM at every startup and provides that
      and other related variables to vimrc and other scripts. As for a real
      environment variable, not on a Mac environment.

      :> (Does the Mac have environments?)

      Nope. Not in the CLI sense. This will change with Mac OS X, as its
      core is BSD 4.4 (can't wait can't wait can't wait!).

      :> then I guess you would have to rename/move
      :> the (system and user) [g]vimrc files.
      :
      :Environments? Have you ever
      :seen a shell on a Mac? Right.

      If you install Tcl/Tk for the Mac, it comes with TclShell that does some
      basic shell stuff.

      :The real problem is that we cannot
      :tell users to test MacVim *without*
      :a startup file. At least not in an
      :easy way. This makes support hard.

      It shouldn't be that hard. MacVim looks for the startup file in only
      two locations: the Preferences folder in the current System folder, and
      the folder containing the MacVim binary. This may sound dumb, but I
      don't see any practical cases of having different vimrc files in both
      locations. And if this is generally true, then it is very easy to tell
      users to test MacVim without a startup file. All they need to do is to
      move the single vimrc file outside the MacVim folder. So support should
      be fairly easy.

      --
      Eugene Lee
      eugene@...