Re: Vim in MacOSX

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2002
      On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 09:06 AM, Rishikesh wrote:

      > * Benji Fisher (benji@...) [020503 23:17]:
      >> Rishikesh wrote:
      >>>
      >>> I am using Vim under OSX. I type the following command
      >>>
      >>> % open -a Vim chapter1.tex
      >>>
      >>> Vim comes up but will the following error message.
      >>> (White letters on red background).
      >>>
      >>> E163: There is only one file to edit
      >>>
      >>> The file I want to edit does not appear. What does
      >>> the above error message mean.
      >>>
      >>> Thank you
      >>>
      >>> Rishi
      >>
      >> According to
      >>
      >> :help E163
      >>
      >> this message comes up when you try to do :n . Could something in your
      >> startup
      >> files be doing this? I just tried it (at home, with an old version)
      >> and got a
      >> "Hit ENTER" message (two, in fact) but no error messages. What
      >> version are
      >> you using?
      >>
      >> HTH --Benji Fisher
      >
      > I am using the version 6.1.16 from the homepage below
      > http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html
      > I did not change anything in the startup files which
      > came with the binaries which I installed in /Applications.
      > I have a five line .gvimrc in home directory, which I
      > have enclosed below. Does vim look for startup files
      > in any other place than my home directory and
      > /Applications/vim
      >
      > Rishi
      >
      > My .gvimrc
      >
      > set guifont=Andale\ Mono:h14
      > set lines=40
      > set columns=100
      > colorscheme koehler
      > syntax on

      I repeated the experiment with the same version. Still no
      problems, except a "Hit ENTER" prompt.

      I did notice one thing. I have set a VIM environment variable in
      my shell, pointing to /usr/local/share/vim . When I start vim from the
      command line, it inherits this variable. Try

      :echo $VIM
      :echo $VIMRUNTIME

      after starting vim (1) as above and (2) from the Finder. Maybe there
      are some other files being :source'd. Do NOT try adding "set verbose=2"
      to any of the startup files: when I try it, vim hangs when it tries to
      start up.

      HTH --Benji Fisher