help file problems

  • arigold@cs.uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17 8:05 AM
      hello hello,

      i was having trouble with an error message popping up whenever i started vim.
      but this stopped after i put the vimrc file in the same folder as the page.
      (maybe someone should correct this for the distribution, no?) the problem now
      is that i cant access the help file, although it exists.. im running vim6.0.17
      this is the error message i get:

      E433: No tags file
      E426: tag not found: help.txt
      Hit ENTER or type command to continue

      any ideas would be much appreciated as simpletext just isnt cutting it
      anymore...

      muchas gracias...~a
    • Kenichi Asai
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2002
        Half a year ago:

        On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:05:43AM -0500,
        arigold@... wrote:

        > hello hello,
        >
        > i was having trouble with an error message popping up whenever i started vim.
        > but this stopped after i put the vimrc file in the same folder as the page.
        > (maybe someone should correct this for the distribution, no?) the problem now
        > is that i cant access the help file, although it exists.. im running vim6.0.17
        > this is the error message i get:
        >
        > E433: No tags file
        > E426: tag not found: help.txt
        > Hit ENTER or type command to continue
        >
        > any ideas would be much appreciated as simpletext just isnt cutting it
        > anymore...

        The similar problem occured to me yesterday (after installing Vim
        5.8.9 on MacOS 9). It seems that the problem comes from the format of
        tags file (located in runtime:doc:tags). By default, it is in UNIX
        format, but after converting it to Mac format, I received no error
        message. But wasn't this problem solved long time ago? Or does the
        tags file still have to be in Mac format?

        Sincerely,

        ---
        Kenichi Asai
      • Axel Kielhorn
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
          At 15:56 Uhr +0900 2002-09-30, Kenichi Asai wrote:

          >The similar problem occured to me yesterday (after installing Vim
          >5.8.9 on MacOS 9). It seems that the problem comes from the format of
          >tags file (located in runtime:doc:tags). By default, it is in UNIX
          >format, but after converting it to Mac format, I received no error
          >message. But wasn't this problem solved long time ago? Or does the
          >tags file still have to be in Mac format?

          According to the docs the vimrc file can be Unix or Mac. It doesn't
          say anything about tag files.

          I have just tried my version of 6.1 and it handles Mac and Unix tags files.
          The difference between my version and the "official" version is, that
          i don't use fgets_cr anymore.

          So far I have seen no negative side effect, maybe we should make that official.
          It is only used 3 times in the source and it's removal will help to
          clean up the code. This may cause problems with older
          compilers/libraries, but works fine with CW Pro2.

          If this works for you I will prepare a patch for 5.8 and 6.1 and send
          it to Bram to make the change official.

          I'm not sure if we can get rid of USE_CR as well, but I will look
          into it over the long weekend.

          Axel
        • Kenichi Asai
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
            On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 07:13:58PM +0200,
            Axel Kielhorn wrote:

            > If this works for you I will prepare a patch for 5.8 and 6.1 and send
            > it to Bram to make the change official.

            Could you please send me the patch for 5.8? I will compile with it
            and test. I have tags file in both Unix and Mac formats, now.

            Sincerely,

            ---
            Kenichi Asai
          • Axel Kielhorn
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
              At 10:23 Uhr +0900 2002-10-03, Kenichi Asai wrote:
              >On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 07:13:58PM +0200,
              > Axel Kielhorn wrote:
              >
              >> If this works for you I will prepare a patch for 5.8 and 6.1 and send
              >> it to Bram to make the change official.
              >
              >Could you please send me the patch for 5.8? I will compile with it
              >and test. I have tags file in both Unix and Mac formats, now.

              After some more testing I discovered that my version of 6.1 only
              works sometimes when the tags file is in Unix format.

              This means we have to document that the tags file has to be in Mac format.

              Sorry. Things will hopefully get better in OS X which has Unix format
              as a default. I'm currently in the painfull process of migration.

              Axel

              --
              The Mac Vim page is now at:
              macvim.swdev.org/OSX for MacOS X