syntax file in $VIM/after/syntax not loading

  • John Shafer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
      Hello all,

      I'm using David O'Callaghan's taskpaper plugin for Vim. I wish to change a
      few of the default colors that he defines in the syntax file. So, while I
      know that it would be easy to change the syntax file that's in $VIM/syntax/, I
      decided to add a file into $VIM/after/syntax to sort of do it the "right" way.
      Anyway, I've also done the same thing to change a few of the default bindings
      for the ftplugin file. My question is that this method works for the ftplugin
      taskpaper file that I placed in $VIM/after/ftplugin but not for the syntax
      file I placed in $VIM/after/syntax. I can't figure it out, it all seems
      kosher to me. Anyway, I've attached David's original syntax file and my
      modification I've placed in $VIM/after/syntax. If anyone knows why this isn't
      working, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

      --
      John Shafer

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
        John Shafer wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm using David O'Callaghan's taskpaper plugin for Vim. I wish to change a
        > few of the default colors that he defines in the syntax file. So, while I
        > know that it would be easy to change the syntax file that's in $VIM/syntax/, I
        > decided to add a file into $VIM/after/syntax to sort of do it the "right" way.
        > Anyway, I've also done the same thing to change a few of the default bindings
        > for the ftplugin file. My question is that this method works for the ftplugin
        > taskpaper file that I placed in $VIM/after/ftplugin but not for the syntax
        > file I placed in $VIM/after/syntax. I can't figure it out, it all seems
        > kosher to me. Anyway, I've attached David's original syntax file and my
        > modification I've placed in $VIM/after/syntax. If anyone knows why this isn't
        > working, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

        I believe it will be working but not having any effect because of the 'default'
        argument given to your highlight command. This means it is ignored if highlighting
        is already set (see :help :highlight-default). I suspect all you need in your
        after file is just the highlighting changes without the 'default' argument, and
        without the typo (you have tdDoneTask not tpDoneTask).

        hi tpProject term=bold,underline cterm=bold,underline gui=bold,underline
        ctermbg=LightGray guibg=Orange
        hi tpDoneTask ctermfg=Red guifg=Red

        Cheers,

        Ben.

      • John Shafer
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
          On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:42:58AM +1100, Ben Schmidt wrote:
          [snip previous quoted message...]
          > I believe it will be working but not having any effect because of the 'default'
          > argument given to your highlight command. This means it is ignored if highlighting
          > is already set (see :help :highlight-default). I suspect all you need in your
          > after file is just the highlighting changes without the 'default' argument, and
          > without the typo (you have tdDoneTask not tpDoneTask).

          > hi tpProject term=bold,underline cterm=bold,underline gui=bold,underline
          > ctermbg=LightGray guibg=Orange
          > hi tpDoneTask ctermfg=Red guifg=Red

          Ben,

          Thanks! That's brilliant. Worked like a charm. I figured it was something
          simple, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what.

          --
          John Shafer