Re: Terminal vim for OS X

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 1:29 PM
      Benji Fisher sez:
      } I just noticed a tip on
      }
      } http://www.macosxhints.com/
      }
      } regarding vim. Someone asked about getting the right terminal type for
      } non-GUI vim on OS X, and this may be the answer. If anyone tests this,
      } please let me know.
      }
      } =====
      } We need to edit one of the header files before compiling. Navigate to
      } vim-5.7/src/ and open feature.h in your favorite editor. Look for the
      } line that reads #define SOME_BUILTIN_TCAPS and change it to read #define
      } ALL_BUILTIN_TCAPS. Save your changes.
      [...]
      } :set term=builtin_beos-ansi
      } :syntax on

      Actually, I discovered this with the vim package that was available for
      download from Apple's MacOS X software site. The builtin_beos-ansi terminal
      is the right one for Apple's Terminal.app, who knows why. Also, you will
      get ALL_BUILTIN_TCAPS automatically with ./configure --features=huge.
      (Regrettably, I have two vim installations, mostly in sync; one is your
      Carbon version, and the other I had to compile for X11 use, which I also
      use in the Terminal.)

      } --Benji Fisher
      --Greg