Terminal vim for OS X

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2002
      I just noticed a tip on

      http://www.macosxhints.com/

      regarding vim. Someone asked about getting the right terminal type for
      non-GUI vim on OS X, and this may be the answer. If anyone tests this,
      please let me know.

      =====
      We need to edit one of the header files before compiling. Navigate to
      vim-5.7/src/ and open feature.h in your favorite editor. Look for the
      line that reads #define SOME_BUILTIN_TCAPS and change it to read #define
      ALL_BUILTIN_TCAPS. Save your changes.

      4. Now it's time to finish, with the normal compilation trifecta. Make
      sure you're in /path/to/vim-5.7, and then:

      [robg]% ./configure
      [robg]% make
      [robg]% sudo make install

      5. When it's finished, type rehash and you should be able to launch VIM
      by typing vim at the terminal prompt. The application is installed in
      /usr/local/bin by default, with support files in
      /usr/local/share/vim/vim57.

      6. To get color-coded syntax highlighting, launch VIM and then type:

      :set term=builtin_beos-ansi
      :syntax on
      ======

      --Benji Fisher
    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2002
        Benji Fisher sez:
        } I just noticed a tip on
        }
        } http://www.macosxhints.com/
        }
        } =====
        } We need to edit one of the header files before compiling. Navigate to
        } vim-5.7/src/ and open feature.h in your favorite editor. Look for the
        } line that reads #define SOME_BUILTIN_TCAPS and change it to read #define
        } ALL_BUILTIN_TCAPS. Save your changes.
        [...]
        } :set term=builtin_beos-ansi
        } :syntax on

        Actually, I discovered this with the vim package that was available for
        download from Apple's MacOS X software site. The builtin_beos-ansi terminal
        is the right one for Apple's Terminal.app, who knows why. Also, you will
        get ALL_BUILTIN_TCAPS automatically with ./configure --features=huge.
        (Regrettably, I have two vim installations, mostly in sync; one is your
        Carbon version, and the other I had to compile for X11 use, which I also
        use in the Terminal.)

        } --Benji Fisher
        --Greg