Re: "vim -u NONE" on Mac?

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2000
      * Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000510 18:25]:
      > > How would you start MacVIM
      > > *without* a setup file?
      > I would move the executable to a folder
      > where it could not find my vimrc.

      Well, if Vim looks for its prefs file
      in the preferences folder then you'd
      have to move that prefs file, too, right?

      > If there is actually a $VIM environment variable
      > (Does the Mac have environments?)
      > then I guess you would have to rename/move
      > the (system and user) [g]vimrc files.

      Environments? Have you ever
      seen a shell on a Mac? Right.

      As for the MPW "shell" - I will
      consider it as as soon as Apple
      bundles it with *every* Mac.
      But not a single day before that. ;-)

      The real problem is that we cannot
      tell users to test MacVim *without*
      a startup file. At least not in an
      easy way. This makes support hard.

      Sven
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2000
        On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:05:23AM +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
        :* Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000510 18:25]:
        :> >
        :> > How would you start MacVIM
        :> > *without* a setup file?
        :>
        :
        :Well, if Vim looks for its prefs file
        :in the preferences folder then you'd
        :have to move that prefs file, too, right?

        Unless you run multiple instances of Vim, or are in a strange multi-user
        environment that requires different user settings of Vim, it's probably
        better to keep a single vimrc in the same folder as your MacVim binary.

        :> If there is actually a $VIM environment variable

        I thought that MacVim determines $VIM at every startup and provides that
        and other related variables to vimrc and other scripts. As for a real
        environment variable, not on a Mac environment.

        :> (Does the Mac have environments?)

        Nope. Not in the CLI sense. This will change with Mac OS X, as its
        core is BSD 4.4 (can't wait can't wait can't wait!).

        :> then I guess you would have to rename/move
        :> the (system and user) [g]vimrc files.
        :
        :Environments? Have you ever
        :seen a shell on a Mac? Right.

        If you install Tcl/Tk for the Mac, it comes with TclShell that does some
        basic shell stuff.

        :The real problem is that we cannot
        :tell users to test MacVim *without*
        :a startup file. At least not in an
        :easy way. This makes support hard.

        It shouldn't be that hard. MacVim looks for the startup file in only
        two locations: the Preferences folder in the current System folder, and
        the folder containing the MacVim binary. This may sound dumb, but I
        don't see any practical cases of having different vimrc files in both
        locations. And if this is generally true, then it is very easy to tell
        users to test MacVim without a startup file. All they need to do is to
        move the single vimrc file outside the MacVim folder. So support should
        be fairly easy.

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...