Re: Latest Logitech Control Centre causes MacVim errors

  • Jjgod Jiang
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007

      On Dec 3, 2007 9:23 PM, <john_oshea@...> wrote:

      > It appears that the current Logitech Control Center version 2.4.0 (204)
      > causes MacVim to lose hold of the background copy of vim that it's
      > attempting to talk to.

      It appears that LCC 2.4.0 has already broken a lot of apps. Check
      http://blog.macromates.com/2007/logitech-control-center/ for instance.

      - Jiang

    • john_oshea@wordbank.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
        Jjgod Jiang wrote:
        > It appears that LCC 2.4.0 has already broken a lot of apps. Check
        > http://blog.macromates.com/2007/logitech-control-center/ for instance.

        Oh, excellent - reading to the end of that lot reveals that LCC installs
        Unsanity's APE, which I'd made a point of avoiding completely in the
        past :-/

        Time to uninstall the blasted thing - that same page has a mention of
        ControllerMate[*], which looks rather interesting as a (very) enhanced
        replacement.

        Thanks for that

        John

        [1] http://orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

        --
        John O'Shea
        Wordbank Limited

      • john_oshea@wordbank.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
          björn wrote:
          > Thanks for the heads up. I hope that it is possible to uninstall the
          > Logitech software and get MacVim to work without it?

          That's what I'm about to find out ;-)

          I'm going to give ControllerMate (see my response to Jiang's email) a
          try, as it looks rather fun.

          > There is not
          > much I can do to fix this problem since I don't have Logitech hardware
          > (and I don't relish the thought of installing their software). Maybe
          > when you get a chance you could run this through the debugger and see
          > what is going on? You can just set a breakpoint on [NSException
          > raise] to see where the exception originates.

          I'm afraid I'm only going to be inclined / able to do it if I can't find
          an alternative to the LCC software. Hopefully sufficient MacVim'ers will
          find this thread via Google to minimize their future suffering ;-)

          Thanks,

          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
            On 03/12/2007, john_oshea@... <john_oshea@...> wrote:

            > björn wrote:
            >
            > > There is not
            > > much I can do to fix this problem since I don't have Logitech hardware
            > > (and I don't relish the thought of installing their software). Maybe
            > > when you get a chance you could run this through the debugger and see
            > > what is going on? You can just set a breakpoint on [NSException
            > > raise] to see where the exception originates.
            >
            > I'm afraid I'm only going to be inclined / able to do it if I can't find
            > an alternative to the LCC software. Hopefully sufficient MacVim'ers will
            > find this thread via Google to minimize their future suffering ;-)

            Judging from the links Jiang posted I am guessing it won't do much
            good digging around in MacVim to try and solve this problem, so don't
            worry about it. When I wrote my last post I was assuming that MacVim
            was the problem but now that seems unlikely. :-)

            /Björn

          • Timothy Reaves
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
              On Mon, December 3, 2007 13:49, john_oshea@... wrote:

              > björn wrote:
              >> Thanks for the heads up. I hope that it is possible to uninstall the
              >> Logitech software and get MacVim to work without it?
              >>

              > That's what I'm about to find out ;-)
              >

              > I'm going to give ControllerMate (see my response to Jiang's email) a
              > try, as it looks rather fun.

              There is a similar thread about this very issue with another app I use.
              Even though I use nothing but Logitech trackballs, I do not use their
              software, so I don't have that issue.

              As an aside, I do use ControllerMate and love it.