Re: Latest Logitech Control Centre causes MacVim errors

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
      On 03/12/2007, john_oshea@... <john_oshea@...> wrote:

      > It appears that the current Logitech Control Center version 2.4.0 (204)
      > causes MacVim to lose hold of the background copy of vim that it's
      > attempting to talk to.
      >
      > I get the following appearing in console.log
      >
      > > 2007-12-03 12:10:44.958 MacVim[6189] LCC Scroll Enhancer loaded
      > > 2007-12-03 12:10:46.657 Vim[6190] Exception caught when trying to connect backend:
      > > "[NOTE: this exception originated in the server.]
      > > *** Object does not implement or has different method signature"

      Wow...that is very weird...I don't know what evil the Logitech
      software is doing, but it almost seems like it is dynamically
      replacing the MMAppController instance (given the "Object does not
      implement or has different method signature" error message).

      > > <long string of escape codes omitted>
      > > 6;32HVIM - Vi IMproved version 7.1.166
      > > <another long string of escape codes omitted>

      This is what happens when gui_mch_init() fails...Vim starts in
      terminal mode instead and the output goes to the console.

      > > backend: "[NOTE: this exception originated in the server.]
      > > *** Object does not implement or has different method signature"
      >
      > so it looks like the background copy of vim is loading ok - in
      > particular, I can see my ruler settings appear, along with what would
      > the initial vim display.
      >
      > The default MacVim menu bar appears, with pretty much all of it
      > grayed-out - File->New is available, but does nothing.

      This is expected. Since [MMBackend checking] always throws an
      exception no window will ever open and the menus don't get updated
      until a window is opened. Thus you have MacVim running but no Vim
      process ever manages to connect.

      > The previous version of the Logitech Software did not cause these errors
      > - caveat upgrader, it seems. Quite what advantages the "LCC Scroll
      > Enhancer" gives, if any, I'm not actually sure...
      >
      > I'm not, unfortunately, in a position to do any digging into this for a
      > few days at the least, so this is more of a 'heads up' for anyone else
      > who may be contemplating upgrading their mouse software.

      Thanks for the heads up. I hope that it is possible to uninstall the
      Logitech software and get MacVim to work without it? There is not
      much I can do to fix this problem since I don't have Logitech hardware
      (and I don't relish the thought of installing their software). Maybe
      when you get a chance you could run this through the debugger and see
      what is going on? You can just set a breakpoint on [NSException
      raise] to see where the exception originates.

      /Björn

    • Jjgod Jiang
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007

        On Dec 3, 2007 9:23 PM, <john_oshea@...> wrote:

        > It appears that the current Logitech Control Center version 2.4.0 (204)
        > causes MacVim to lose hold of the background copy of vim that it's
        > attempting to talk to.

        It appears that LCC 2.4.0 has already broken a lot of apps. Check
        http://blog.macromates.com/2007/logitech-control-center/ for instance.

        - Jiang

      • john_oshea@wordbank.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
          Jjgod Jiang wrote:
          > It appears that LCC 2.4.0 has already broken a lot of apps. Check
          > http://blog.macromates.com/2007/logitech-control-center/ for instance.

          Oh, excellent - reading to the end of that lot reveals that LCC installs
          Unsanity's APE, which I'd made a point of avoiding completely in the
          past :-/

          Time to uninstall the blasted thing - that same page has a mention of
          ControllerMate[*], which looks rather interesting as a (very) enhanced
          replacement.

          Thanks for that

          John

          [1] http://orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

          --
          John O'Shea
          Wordbank Limited

        • john_oshea@wordbank.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
            björn wrote:
            > Thanks for the heads up. I hope that it is possible to uninstall the
            > Logitech software and get MacVim to work without it?

            That's what I'm about to find out ;-)

            I'm going to give ControllerMate (see my response to Jiang's email) a
            try, as it looks rather fun.

            > There is not
            > much I can do to fix this problem since I don't have Logitech hardware
            > (and I don't relish the thought of installing their software). Maybe
            > when you get a chance you could run this through the debugger and see
            > what is going on? You can just set a breakpoint on [NSException
            > raise] to see where the exception originates.

            I'm afraid I'm only going to be inclined / able to do it if I can't find
            an alternative to the LCC software. Hopefully sufficient MacVim'ers will
            find this thread via Google to minimize their future suffering ;-)

            Thanks,

            John

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
              On 03/12/2007, john_oshea@... <john_oshea@...> wrote:

              > björn wrote:
              >
              > > There is not
              > > much I can do to fix this problem since I don't have Logitech hardware
              > > (and I don't relish the thought of installing their software). Maybe
              > > when you get a chance you could run this through the debugger and see
              > > what is going on? You can just set a breakpoint on [NSException
              > > raise] to see where the exception originates.
              >
              > I'm afraid I'm only going to be inclined / able to do it if I can't find
              > an alternative to the LCC software. Hopefully sufficient MacVim'ers will
              > find this thread via Google to minimize their future suffering ;-)

              Judging from the links Jiang posted I am guessing it won't do much
              good digging around in MacVim to try and solve this problem, so don't
              worry about it. When I wrote my last post I was assuming that MacVim
              was the problem but now that seems unlikely. :-)

              /Björn

            • Timothy Reaves
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
                On Mon, December 3, 2007 13:49, john_oshea@... wrote:

                > björn wrote:
                >> Thanks for the heads up. I hope that it is possible to uninstall the
                >> Logitech software and get MacVim to work without it?
                >>

                > That's what I'm about to find out ;-)
                >

                > I'm going to give ControllerMate (see my response to Jiang's email) a
                > try, as it looks rather fun.

                There is a similar thread about this very issue with another app I use.
                Even though I use nothing but Logitech trackballs, I do not use their
                software, so I don't have that issue.

                As an aside, I do use ControllerMate and love it.