Re: [patch] nice looking tabs on leopard

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
      On 02/12/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

      > > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
      > > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
      > > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
      > > new snapshot today if possible).
      >
      > Works fine over here.

      Great!

      > Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
      > initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
      > least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
      > hardcoded constants look fishy.

      I agree...however, I've noticed that sometimes (e.g. when initializing
      an NSScroller) you pretty much have to give the content rect some
      "dimension". So, since I cannot be bothered checking if NSZeroRect
      works, I decided to stick with the values from the nib file (except
      for the position). Stupid reasoning? Possibly.

      > While I'm at it: http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
      > (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
      > makes the code much more readable).

      Interesting. I guess I do prefer early exit style myself, don't know
      why I got started with the current style. I might change this. The
      above article did not make me feel much better though. It just seems
      to say "the super class may stuff your code regardless what you do".
      Never understood the point of "self = [super init]" myself...

      > > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.
      >
      > Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
      > I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
      > and document the forking behaviour.

      That would be good. I'll fix the mvim script and finally add it to
      the repo as was requested some time back.

      /Björn

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
        >> ps: Unrelated bug: Cmd-Shift-F doesn't work in fullscreen mode over
        >> here. Doing `set invfullscreen` manually does work, though.
        >
        > Weird, it works for me...it could be Leopard related...e.g. Ctrl-keys
        > take different code paths in Leopard and Tiger, maybe a similar thing
        > is happening here. If you get a chance maybe you can see if something
        > strange is going on inside MMTextView.

        For some reason, this works fine with the latest release. Yay, I guess.

        Nico

      • Kenneth R. Beesley
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
          Background:
          Newbie to MacVim
          Running OS X 10.5.1 (Leopard)
          Was running MacVim.app snapshot-0711A with good results
          Downloaded and installed snapshot-0712B yesterday

          Problem:

          When I try to launch MacVim.app (snapshot-0712B) I get the following
          message multiple times

          2007-12-13 10:17:15.171 MacVim[171:10b] -[MMWindowController
          loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Applications/MacVim.app/
          Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EmptyWindow.nib'.

          and MacVim does not launch. I tried to search the archives and found
          the message
          below, which seems relevant.

          Should I retreat to 0711A?

          Thanks,

          Ken

          On Dec 2, 7:22 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
          > > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
          > > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
          > > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
          > > new snapshot today if possible).
          >
          > Works fine over here.
          >
          > Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
          > initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
          > least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
          > hardcoded constants look fishy.
          >
          > While I'm at it:http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
          > (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
          > makes the code much more readable).
          >
          > > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.
          >
          > Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
          > I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
          > and document the forking behaviour.
          >
          > Nico
        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
            > Problem:
            >
            > When I try to launch MacVim.app (snapshot-0712B) I get the following
            > message multiple times
            >
            > 2007-12-13 10:17:15.171 MacVim[171:10b] -[MMWindowController
            > loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Applications/MacVim.app/
            > Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EmptyWindow.nib'.
            >
            > and MacVim does not launch. I tried to search the archives and found
            > the message
            > below, which seems relevant.
            >
            > Should I retreat to 0711A?

            It works over here. But we _did_ remove EmptyWindow.nib in 712A. It
            should not be used anymore. Are you sure you don't have any MacVim
            instances left running? How do you launch MacVim? And as a stab in the
            dark, does removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.vim.MacVim help?

            Bjorn: Do we have to override `windowNibName`, `windowNibPath` and/or
            `loadWindow` in MMWindowController?

            Nico

          • Kenneth Reid Beesley
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
              Nico,

              I launch MacVim with the mvim script provided.

              Removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.MacVim.plist seems
              to have solved the problem.

              Thanks,

              Ken

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 14, 2007
                On 13/12/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                > Bjorn: Do we have to override `windowNibName`, `windowNibPath` and/or
                > `loadWindow` in MMWindowController?

                I found no place where the docs said this is needed so I don't think
                so. They should do nothing since the window is passed when
                initializing the window controller. Did you come across something
                saying otherwise?

                /Björn