Re: [patch] nice looking tabs on leopard

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
      > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
      > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
      > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
      > new snapshot today if possible).

      Works fine over here.

      Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
      initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
      least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
      hardcoded constants look fishy.

      While I'm at it: http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
      (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
      makes the code much more readable).

      > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.

      Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
      I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
      and document the forking behaviour.

      Nico

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
        On 02/12/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

        > > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
        > > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
        > > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
        > > new snapshot today if possible).
        >
        > Works fine over here.

        Great!

        > Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
        > initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
        > least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
        > hardcoded constants look fishy.

        I agree...however, I've noticed that sometimes (e.g. when initializing
        an NSScroller) you pretty much have to give the content rect some
        "dimension". So, since I cannot be bothered checking if NSZeroRect
        works, I decided to stick with the values from the nib file (except
        for the position). Stupid reasoning? Possibly.

        > While I'm at it: http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
        > (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
        > makes the code much more readable).

        Interesting. I guess I do prefer early exit style myself, don't know
        why I got started with the current style. I might change this. The
        above article did not make me feel much better though. It just seems
        to say "the super class may stuff your code regardless what you do".
        Never understood the point of "self = [super init]" myself...

        > > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.
        >
        > Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
        > I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
        > and document the forking behaviour.

        That would be good. I'll fix the mvim script and finally add it to
        the repo as was requested some time back.

        /Björn

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
          >> ps: Unrelated bug: Cmd-Shift-F doesn't work in fullscreen mode over
          >> here. Doing `set invfullscreen` manually does work, though.
          >
          > Weird, it works for me...it could be Leopard related...e.g. Ctrl-keys
          > take different code paths in Leopard and Tiger, maybe a similar thing
          > is happening here. If you get a chance maybe you can see if something
          > strange is going on inside MMTextView.

          For some reason, this works fine with the latest release. Yay, I guess.

          Nico

        • Kenneth R. Beesley
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
            Background:
            Newbie to MacVim
            Running OS X 10.5.1 (Leopard)
            Was running MacVim.app snapshot-0711A with good results
            Downloaded and installed snapshot-0712B yesterday

            Problem:

            When I try to launch MacVim.app (snapshot-0712B) I get the following
            message multiple times

            2007-12-13 10:17:15.171 MacVim[171:10b] -[MMWindowController
            loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Applications/MacVim.app/
            Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EmptyWindow.nib'.

            and MacVim does not launch. I tried to search the archives and found
            the message
            below, which seems relevant.

            Should I retreat to 0711A?

            Thanks,

            Ken

            On Dec 2, 7:22 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
            > > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
            > > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
            > > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
            > > new snapshot today if possible).
            >
            > Works fine over here.
            >
            > Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
            > initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
            > least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
            > hardcoded constants look fishy.
            >
            > While I'm at it:http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
            > (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
            > makes the code much more readable).
            >
            > > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.
            >
            > Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
            > I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
            > and document the forking behaviour.
            >
            > Nico
          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
              > Problem:
              >
              > When I try to launch MacVim.app (snapshot-0712B) I get the following
              > message multiple times
              >
              > 2007-12-13 10:17:15.171 MacVim[171:10b] -[MMWindowController
              > loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Applications/MacVim.app/
              > Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EmptyWindow.nib'.
              >
              > and MacVim does not launch. I tried to search the archives and found
              > the message
              > below, which seems relevant.
              >
              > Should I retreat to 0711A?

              It works over here. But we _did_ remove EmptyWindow.nib in 712A. It
              should not be used anymore. Are you sure you don't have any MacVim
              instances left running? How do you launch MacVim? And as a stab in the
              dark, does removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.vim.MacVim help?

              Bjorn: Do we have to override `windowNibName`, `windowNibPath` and/or
              `loadWindow` in MMWindowController?

              Nico

            • Kenneth Reid Beesley
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
                Nico,

                I launch MacVim with the mvim script provided.

                Removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.MacVim.plist seems
                to have solved the problem.

                Thanks,

                Ken

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 14, 2007
                  On 13/12/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                  > Bjorn: Do we have to override `windowNibName`, `windowNibPath` and/or
                  > `loadWindow` in MMWindowController?

                  I found no place where the docs said this is needed so I don't think
                  so. They should do nothing since the window is passed when
                  initializing the window controller. Did you come across something
                  saying otherwise?

                  /Björn