Re: [patch] nice looking tabs on leopard

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
      > Instead of having a separate nib for the textured window, could you
      > perhaps just set the NSTexturedBackgroundWindowMask in
      > [MMWindowController initWithVimController], right after loading the
      > window nib? I don't really see why we'd need another nib...

      According to apple's documentation, that's not possible.
      NSTexturedBackgroundWindowMask is in the window style, which can only
      be set at window creation time ( see http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSWindow_Class/Reference/Reference.html#/
      /apple_ref/occ/instm/NSWindow/styleMask ). It's possible to create the
      window programatically, but I feel loading the window from a nib is
      nicer.

      > We could probably even create the window programmatically since the
      > nib contains nothing
      > but the window anyway. However, I'd prefer to just leave things as
      > they are (since it works and I had weird problems in the past related
      > to setting up the window).

      If you want, I can change the patch to create the windows without a nib.

      > Another thing I just noticed: the patch contains changes to the
      > project.pbxproj file which refer to MacVim-devel.app...I am guessing
      > you've changed your project settings. Can you perhaps clean this up
      > before sending a new patch?

      I changed the project because I added another nib file to it.

      Nico

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
        On 01/12/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

        > > Instead of having a separate nib for the textured window, could you
        > > perhaps just set the NSTexturedBackgroundWindowMask in
        > > [MMWindowController initWithVimController], right after loading the
        > > window nib? I don't really see why we'd need another nib...
        >
        > According to apple's documentation, that's not possible.
        > NSTexturedBackgroundWindowMask is in the window style, which can only
        > be set at window creation time ( see http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSWindow_Class/Reference/Reference.html#/
        > /apple_ref/occ/instm/NSWindow/styleMask ). It's possible to create the
        > window programatically, but I feel loading the window from a nib is
        > nicer.
        >
        > > We could probably even create the window programmatically since the
        > > nib contains nothing
        > > but the window anyway. However, I'd prefer to just leave things as
        > > they are (since it works and I had weird problems in the past related
        > > to setting up the window).
        >
        > If you want, I can change the patch to create the windows without a nib.
        >
        > > Another thing I just noticed: the patch contains changes to the
        > > project.pbxproj file which refer to MacVim-devel.app...I am guessing
        > > you've changed your project settings. Can you perhaps clean this up
        > > before sending a new patch?
        >
        > I changed the project because I added another nib file to it.

        I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
        this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
        pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
        new snapshot today if possible).

        Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo. Thanks for these
        patches! ;-)

        /Björn

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
          > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
          > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
          > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
          > new snapshot today if possible).

          Works fine over here.

          Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
          initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
          least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
          hardcoded constants look fishy.

          While I'm at it: http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
          (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
          makes the code much more readable).

          > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.

          Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
          I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
          and document the forking behaviour.

          Nico

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2007
            On 02/12/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

            > > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
            > > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
            > > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
            > > new snapshot today if possible).
            >
            > Works fine over here.

            Great!

            > Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
            > initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
            > least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
            > hardcoded constants look fishy.

            I agree...however, I've noticed that sometimes (e.g. when initializing
            an NSScroller) you pretty much have to give the content rect some
            "dimension". So, since I cannot be bothered checking if NSZeroRect
            works, I decided to stick with the values from the nib file (except
            for the position). Stupid reasoning? Possibly.

            > While I'm at it: http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
            > (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
            > makes the code much more readable).

            Interesting. I guess I do prefer early exit style myself, don't know
            why I got started with the current style. I might change this. The
            above article did not make me feel much better though. It just seems
            to say "the super class may stuff your code regardless what you do".
            Never understood the point of "self = [super init]" myself...

            > > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.
            >
            > Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
            > I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
            > and document the forking behaviour.

            That would be good. I'll fix the mvim script and finally add it to
            the repo as was requested some time back.

            /Björn

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
              >> ps: Unrelated bug: Cmd-Shift-F doesn't work in fullscreen mode over
              >> here. Doing `set invfullscreen` manually does work, though.
              >
              > Weird, it works for me...it could be Leopard related...e.g. Ctrl-keys
              > take different code paths in Leopard and Tiger, maybe a similar thing
              > is happening here. If you get a chance maybe you can see if something
              > strange is going on inside MMTextView.

              For some reason, this works fine with the latest release. Yay, I guess.

              Nico

            • Kenneth R. Beesley
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
                Background:
                Newbie to MacVim
                Running OS X 10.5.1 (Leopard)
                Was running MacVim.app snapshot-0711A with good results
                Downloaded and installed snapshot-0712B yesterday

                Problem:

                When I try to launch MacVim.app (snapshot-0712B) I get the following
                message multiple times

                2007-12-13 10:17:15.171 MacVim[171:10b] -[MMWindowController
                loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Applications/MacVim.app/
                Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EmptyWindow.nib'.

                and MacVim does not launch. I tried to search the archives and found
                the message
                below, which seems relevant.

                Should I retreat to 0711A?

                Thanks,

                Ken

                On Dec 2, 7:22 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                > > I decided to go without the nib file altogether. Since I can't test
                > > this under Leopard I would kindly ask that anybody with Leopard to
                > > pull the latest version and test it asap (I would like to release a
                > > new snapshot today if possible).
                >
                > Works fine over here.
                >
                > Sidenote: I'd use NSZeroRect for the window's content rect in
                > initWithContentRect though, as the size is changed later anyways (at
                > least for me, perhaps because I set 'lines' in my gvimrc?) and
                > hardcoded constants look fishy.
                >
                > While I'm at it:http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/07/self-stupid-init.html
                > (at least doing an early return in the init methods would be nice,
                > makes the code much more readable).
                >
                > > Nico, I also pushed your "fork patch" to the repo.
                >
                > Cool. You should probably change the mvim script (remove the '&'). And
                > I should post a documentation patch for `:h :gui` and `:h gui-fork`
                > and document the forking behaviour.
                >
                > Nico
              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
                  > Problem:
                  >
                  > When I try to launch MacVim.app (snapshot-0712B) I get the following
                  > message multiple times
                  >
                  > 2007-12-13 10:17:15.171 MacVim[171:10b] -[MMWindowController
                  > loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file '/Applications/MacVim.app/
                  > Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EmptyWindow.nib'.
                  >
                  > and MacVim does not launch. I tried to search the archives and found
                  > the message
                  > below, which seems relevant.
                  >
                  > Should I retreat to 0711A?

                  It works over here. But we _did_ remove EmptyWindow.nib in 712A. It
                  should not be used anymore. Are you sure you don't have any MacVim
                  instances left running? How do you launch MacVim? And as a stab in the
                  dark, does removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.vim.MacVim help?

                  Bjorn: Do we have to override `windowNibName`, `windowNibPath` and/or
                  `loadWindow` in MMWindowController?

                  Nico

                • Kenneth Reid Beesley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
                    Nico,

                    I launch MacVim with the mvim script provided.

                    Removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.MacVim.plist seems
                    to have solved the problem.

                    Thanks,

                    Ken

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14, 2007
                      On 13/12/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                      > Bjorn: Do we have to override `windowNibName`, `windowNibPath` and/or
                      > `loadWindow` in MMWindowController?

                      I found no place where the docs said this is needed so I don't think
                      so. They should do nothing since the window is passed when
                      initializing the window controller. Did you come across something
                      saying otherwise?

                      /Björn