Re: Cyberduck and MacVim.app

    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 28, 2007
      On 28/11/2007, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

      > > This is the appropriate commit from the git repo, is this what
      > > you're after?
      > >
      > > <http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git?a=commitdiff;h=56d8b36c762c733f37b0edb0009b284e6a255a4e
      > > >

      > Bjorn, you change the bundle identifier from org.vim.MacVim to
      > org.vim.MacVim-odb . I guess that was not intentional?

      Nicely spotted. It was indeed unintentional but I fixed it before
      pushing to the public repo (the commit after has the fix).
      Still...thanks.

      > Using the bundle identifier as IPC port name causes all kinds of
      > problems. Perhaps we could use the alias id of the main bundle? This
      > should stay constant even if the app is used and is different for
      > different MacVim instances. This way, you could run a "normal" MacVim
      > and a developement MacVim in parallel with no hassle at all.

      I agree that using the bundle identifier for the named port is a bit
      awkward (but only for developers, which is why I didn't think it too
      much of an evil). I considered using the path of the main executable
      as the ID, but apparently in Mac OS X land the user is supposed to be
      able to move the app bundle while the program is running (!), so I did
      not dare to use that. What is the "alias id" you are talking
      about...is it something that cannot change while the app is running?

      /Björn

      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 5 8:03 AM
        On 05/02/2008, dchan@... <dchan@...> wrote:

        > The documentation in the current ODBInputManager.tar.bz2 on the
        > website as of Sunday evening is slightly off. I too have been getting
        > the "Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/Edit in
        > ODBEditor.bundle" errors.
        >
        > The current documentation says:
        >
        > >1. From the Terminal, do (the backslash indicates that the command you have to
        > > type continues on the next line):
        > >
        > > defaults write org.slashpunt.edit_in_odbeditor \
        > > ODBEditorBundleIdentifier "org.vim.MacVim"
        > > defaults write org.slashpunt.edit_in_odbeditor \
        > > ODBEditorName MacVim
        > > sudo mkdir /Library/InputManagers
        > > sudo cp -pR "~/Desktop/ODBInputManager/Edit in ODBEditor" \
        > > /Library/InputManagers
        > > sudo chown -R root:admin /Library/InputManagers
        >
        > The 4th command should say something more like
        >
        > sudo cp -pR ~/"Desktop/ODBInputManager/Edit in ODBEditor" /Library/
        > InputManagers
        >
        > the ~ needs to not be in "" to expand correctly.
        >
        > Also, to be clear, the .bundle should NOT be directly in the
        > InputManagers directory.
        >
        > The tilde expansion failed for me, so when I re-ran it, I used tab-
        > complete, which stuck a / on the tail of the "Edit in ODBEditor" This
        > copies the contents of
        > Edit in ODBEditor" without the directory itself, and you get
        > the .bundle in /Library/InputMethods. You want to end up with
        > something like this tree:
        >
        > /Library/InputManagers
        > /Library/InputManagers/.DS_Store
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Info.plist
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/MacOS
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/MacOS/Edit in ODBEditor
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources/English.lproj
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Edit in ODBEditor.bundle/
        > Contents/Resources/url map.plist
        > /Library/InputManagers/Edit In ODBEditor/Info

        Thanks...I have updated the instructions to point out that it is very
        important not to add that extra slash after the paths when copying
        folders. (Also, see my reply to Ted's post.)

        /Björn