Re: newbie question: environment variables

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2002
      On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 10:33 AM, antics_chap wrote:

      > [Using Vim 6.0 patches 1-11 13-17 on Mac OS 8.5]
      >
      > I'm new to Macs and new to VIM (but have been using vi for years on
      > UNIX).
      > I've read the helpfiles and the faq at vim.org/macs.html without
      > success.
      >
      > I'd like a quick way of opening files in Vim from the command prompt.
      > Perhaps using an environment variable as a path alias from the command
      > prompt e.g.
      > :e $myfolder/myfile
      > would open "Powerbook:Desktop Folder:myfolder:myfile"
      >
      > I read that Mac's don't support environment variables, however $VIM
      > seems to
      > work - which is why this question is addressed to this forum. If you can
      > think of a better way I'm open to suggestions. If this question is
      > answered
      > in a FAQ anywhere please point me in that direction and I'm sorry to
      > have
      > wasted your time.
      >
      > Much obliged.
      > Matthew.
      > PS. Great product - couldn't work on this Mac without it. Thanks for
      > all the
      > hard work.

      I think what I did before switching to OS X was something like this:

      :let HOME = "Powerbook:Desktop Folder:myfolder"
      :command! -nargs=1 -complete=var CD execute "cd" <args>

      Then I can do

      :CD HOME

      and I could even use command-line completion,

      :CD H<Tab>

      This might already be in the macvimrc in Axel Kielhorn's distribution.
      Have a look.

      HTH --Benji Fisher