Re: command-line options for Carbon Vim

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2002
      On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 05:45 AM, Erlend Aasland wrote:

      > On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      >> Can anyone think of a way to send a command-line option to
      >> Carbon vim
      >> on Mac OS X? For example, the analogue of
      >>
      >> % gvim +100 foo.txt
      >>
      >> to open foo.txt and start at line 100. I can start vim with
      >>
      >> % open -a Vim foo.txt
      >>
      >> but I cannot figure out how to pass options as well as a file name.
      >> Hmm..
      >> .
      >>
      >> % tcsh -c '/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g +100
      >> foo.txt &'
      >>
      >> almost works, but Terminal remains the active application.
      >
      > What about this...
      > % echo +100 foo.txt | xargs Vim
      >

      > Erlend Aasland

      Does this work for you? I tried it (without the +100) and it
      started up the non-gui vim. Then I tried giving a path to the Carbon
      executable, and it started that up in Terminal mode. Then I gave it the
      -g flag:

      % echo -g foo.txt | xargs /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

      and this worked about as well as my previous attempt: Terminal, not
      Vim, has the focus. It also spit out an error about allocating
      grey90. :-( <try again> That last bit is a difference between my home
      and office machines: I get the error message at the office either way.

      Any other suggestions?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Dragon Green
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2002
        Sorry no suggestions, just feedback and questions.

        I tried the command that Benji Sent out originally, and yes, it starts up the aqua Vim, but leaves it in the background. At least it worked the first few times, but after that it wouldn't start all the way. The icon would just bounce and bounce.

        I've had the same problem in the past, when I tried to use Vim with Pseudo, an app that starts other apps as root. The icon would just bounce and bounce.

        I also had a question... Is there any way to open more than one window, or have more than one instance of Vim running at the same time. I can't always do everything in one split window. Under unix I sometimes have 5 or six differnt Vims going at one time, but mac os x doesn't seem to allow it.

        Thank you very much,
        Dragon

        On 19 Mar 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 05:45 AM,
        > Erlend Aasland wrote:
        >
        > > On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:
        > >
        > >> Can anyone think of a way to send a
        > >> command-line option to Carbon vim on
        > >> Mac OS X? For example, the analogue
        > >> of
        > >>
        > >> % gvim +100 foo.txt
        > >>
        > >> to open foo.txt and start at line 100. I
        > >> can start vim with
        > >>
        > >> % open -a Vim foo.txt
        > >>
        > >> but I cannot figure out how to pass options
        > >> as well as a file name. Hmm.. .
        > >>
        > >> % tcsh -c '/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Conte-
        > >> % nts/MacOS/Vim -g +100
        > >> foo.txt &'
        > >>
        > >> almost works, but Terminal remains the
        > >> active application.
        > >
        > > What about this...
        > > % echo +100 foo.txt | xargs Vim
        > >

        > > Erlend Aasland
        >
        > Does this work for you? I tried it
        > (without the +100) and it started up the
        > non-gui vim. Then I tried giving a path
        > to the Carbon executable, and it started
        > that up in Terminal mode. Then I gave it
        > the -g flag:
        >
        > % echo -g foo.txt | xargs /Applications/vim/V-
        > % im.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        >
        > and this worked about as well as my previous
        > attempt: Terminal, not Vim, has the focus. It
        > also spit out an error about allocating
        > grey90. :-( <try again> That last bit is a
        > difference between my home and office
        > machines: I get the error message at the
        > office either way.
        >
        > Any other suggestions?
        >
        > --Benji
        > Fisher
      • Dragon Green
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2002
          Ok, I answered my own questions. I had a typo that was making Vim not
          start up all the way... and I can have as many Vims as memory will allow
          if I start 'em command line.

          Still don't know why it wouldn't work with pseudo, but I'd have to know
          more about how pseudo works and that's another list.

          sorry, and thanks again,
          Dragon

          +*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
          Check out my Domain...
          http://www.skullybat.com

          Never updated!
        • Erlend Aasland
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2002
            > > What about this...
            > > % echo +100 foo.txt | xargs Vim
            > Does this work for you? I tried it (without the +100) and it
            > started up the non-gui vim. Then I tried giving a path to the Carbon
            > executable, and it started that up in Terminal mode. Then I gave it the
            > -g flag:

            Sorry, I havent got MacOS X, so I cant try it out. It was just the first
            thing that came to my mind when I read your first post.

            Erlend Aasland