Re: Move between tabs

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007

      > I've just installed MacVim on Leopard and I would like to know if's
      > possible to move among the tabs using command+left and command+right
      > like in other OSX apps.

      try it ;-) It's possible with cmd-{ and cmd-} (on english keyboard
      layouts at least), as in every other apple os x app.

      This kind of question is better asked on vim_mac, though.

      HTH,
      Nico

    • Niklas Lindström
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
        Hi!

        True. To get the cmd+left/right variant, add this in your .gvimrc:

        nnoremap <D-Right> gt
        nnoremap <D-Left> gT

        You can also take a look at the MacVim gvimrc:

        :e $VIM/gvimrc

        at around line 206, where the menu keys for the next/previous tab are defined:

        macmenukey Window.Previous\ Tab <D-{>
        macmenukey Window.Next\ Tab <D-}>

        Best regards,
        Niklas

        On 11/14/07, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > > I've just installed MacVim on Leopard and I would like to know if's
        > > possible to move among the tabs using command+left and command+right
        > > like in other OSX apps.
        >
        > try it ;-) It's possible with cmd-{ and cmd-} (on english keyboard
        > layouts at least), as in every other apple os x app.
        >
        > This kind of question is better asked on vim_mac, though.
        >
        > HTH,
        > Nico

      • Jorge Ferrando
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
          Thanks Nico.

          I have spanish kb so it's not very useful the use of keys { and }

          I tried this:

          map <D-M-Right> :tabn<CR>
          map <D-M-Left> :tabp<CR>
          imap <D-M-Right> <C-o>:tabn<CR>
          imap <D-M-Left> <C-o>:tabp<CR>

          And it works pressing option+alt+left but it doesnt work only with
          Option key with this config:

          map <D-Right> :tabn<CR>
          map <D-Left> :tabp<CR>
          imap <D-Right> <C-o>:tabn<CR>
          imap <D-Left> <C-o>:tabp<CR>

          Any idea?

          El 14/11/2007, a las 13:37, Nico Weber escribió:

          > Hi,
          >
          >> I've just installed MacVim on Leopard and I would like to know if's
          >> possible to move among the tabs using command+left and command+right
          >> like in other OSX apps.
          >
          > try it ;-) It's possible with cmd-{ and cmd-} (on english keyboard
          > layouts at least), as in every other apple os x app.
          >
          > This kind of question is better asked on vim_mac, though.
          >
          > HTH,
          > Nico

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007

            > And it works pressing option+alt+left but it doesnt work only with
            > Option key with this config:
            >
            > map <D-Right> :tabn<CR>
            > map <D-Left> :tabp<CR>
            > imap <D-Right> <C-o>:tabn<CR>
            > imap <D-Left> <C-o>:tabp<CR>
            >
            > Any idea?

            D ist Command and M is option (M = Meta, which is Alt on today's
            keyboards. hysterical raisins.) Does it work with command only with
            your mapping?

            Nico

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
              On 14/11/2007, Jorge Ferrando <jorfermo@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Nico.
              >
              > I have spanish kb so it's not very useful the use of keys { and }
              >
              > I tried this:
              >
              > map <D-M-Right> :tabn<CR>
              > map <D-M-Left> :tabp<CR>
              > imap <D-M-Right> <C-o>:tabn<CR>
              > imap <D-M-Left> <C-o>:tabp<CR>
              >
              > And it works pressing option+alt+left but it doesnt work only with
              > Option key with this config:
              >
              > map <D-Right> :tabn<CR>
              > map <D-Left> :tabp<CR>
              > imap <D-Right> <C-o>:tabn<CR>
              > imap <D-Left> <C-o>:tabp<CR>

              I would go with Niklas' suggestion and use the following commands instead:

              macmenukey Window.Previous\ Tab <D-Left>
              macmenukey Window.Next\ Tab <D-Right>

              That will make the menus look nicer too. ;-)

              By the way, at some point in the future we will start localizing
              MacVim at which point the default bindings will be updated to match
              the chosen localization. The current bindings are geared towards
              American keyboard layout.

              /Björn

            • Jorge Ferrando
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
                It doesn't work for me either :-(

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
                  On 15/11/2007, Jorge Ferrando <jorfermo@...> wrote:
                  > > I would go with Niklas' suggestion and use the following commands
                  > > instead:
                  > >
                  > > macmenukey Window.Previous\ Tab <D-Left>
                  > > macmenukey Window.Next\ Tab <D-Right>
                  > >

                  > It doesn't work for me either :-(

                  Then I assume you are doing something wrong. The following two lines
                  were taken from my own .gvimrc, so they work for me. Perform the
                  following steps:

                  1. Open up "~/.gvimrc" with your favourite text editor (create the
                  file if it doesn't already exist)
                  2. Copy and paste these two lines into that file

                  macmenukey Window.Next\ Tab <D-Right>
                  macmenukey Window.Previous\ Tab <D-Left>

                  3. open up a new MacVim window, add one or two tabs (e.g. by pressing Cmd-t)
                  4. cmd-left or cmd-right to toggle between the tabs

                  (Note that this only works with the "D" or Apple command key modifier,
                  and not with the option/alt/meta modifier).

                  Good luck,