Problem on open .tex files with macvim

  • Jan Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2007
      Dear (*),

      when I try to open a .tex file (or any other) in macvim I get an empty
      macvim window:

      http://www.home.hs-karlsruhe.de/~mija0013/download/Picture%203.png

      Please see this screenshot: I opened (double click on the icon in
      Mail) the .tex file one time with macvim and one time with smultron.
      Smultron displays it correctly. Macvim not.

      I'm using Leopard and the latest macvim build 710B.

      The file opens correctly if i fire up macvim via console?

      Can anyone help?

      Cheers,

      Jan

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2007
        Hi,

        > when I try to open a .tex file (or any other) in macvim I get an empty
        > macvim window:

        are you sure that the version running is the latest version? (check
        with MacVim->About). This was a known problem with the release before
        the latest.

        Does it help if you rename your _vimrc and _gvimrc files (so MacVim
        can't find them)? Your scrollbars look different than the "normal"
        scrollbars. Do you have installed some system extension to reskin your
        ui? Does it help if you disable this extension?

        Thanks,
        Nico

      • Jan Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 14, 2007
          Hi Nico,

          On Nov 14, 7:24 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
          > are you sure that the version running is the latest version? (check
          > with MacVim->About). This was a known problem with the release before
          > the latest.

          You wer'e right. Although I had the latest version installed to my
          application directory (/Application) a different version have been
          launched, when I opened the attachment in Mail for example. Therefore
          I was looking for another version on my computer. Spotlight then gave
          me the following, when I tried to delete the version from October
          26th:

          http://www.home.hs-karlsruhe.de/~mija0013/download/Picture%206.png

          The Buttons Delete and Fix Alias are without function. If I click on
          those buttons the popup disappears and returns half a second later.
          What is wrong there?

          After that I did a search with locate in the terminal window. This
          showed me that there was another version in my Downloads folder, which
          I deleted immediately. Now Mail attachments and other files open
          correctly with MacVim.

          But!

          When I try to use Spotlight (Command+Space) to look for MacVim and to
          launch it, it won't start up. I really don't know why. This is really
          annoying. What Do you think?

          > Your scrollbars look different than the "normal"
          > scrollbars. Do you have installed some system extension to reskin your
          > ui? Does it help if you disable this extension?

          Hm. I changed the scrollbar ressources by hand to those from iTunes
          because they fit better in Leopards look and feel. I can undo that,
          but I believe that this has nothing to do with MacVim since it works
          now in most cases...

          Thanks for your help,

          Jan

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2007
            Hi,

            > I was looking for another version on my computer. Spotlight then gave
            > me the following, when I tried to delete the version from October
            > 26th:
            >
            > http://www.home.hs-karlsruhe.de/~mija0013/download/Picture%206.png

            an alias is some kind of symbolic link, but with the extra
            functionality that it still works when the file it links to is moved
            (ever wondered why your dock icons sill work after you've moved an app
            to a different directory? That's why). Looks like you've got an alias
            to MacVim.app somewhere, and didn't just move the file it links to,
            but deleted it. Now the alias is unable to find the file it's looking
            for and complains.

            Perhaps you can do "Get Info" on the alias in the spotlight window to
            see where it lives (press cmd-i for example). You can safely delete it.

            > The Buttons Delete and Fix Alias are without function. If I click on
            > those buttons the popup disappears and returns half a second later.
            > What is wrong there?

            "Delete" should work. (?.) It's only a stray alias, I guess.

            > When I try to use Spotlight (Command+Space) to look for MacVim and to
            > launch it, it won't start up. I really don't know why. This is really
            > annoying. What Do you think?

            Works for me. I guess Spotlight finds the non-functional alias first,
            try again after you got rid of it.

            Nico