Re: a grave character in vim

  • Tim Allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2007
      This isn't specifically a Mac Vim question, you might get a better
      answer on the main Vim list.

      On Nov 9, 3:53 am, JeanF <funky...@...> wrote:
      > What do I have to do to make the "à" appear correctly
      > when I use the "à" key?

      Some things to check:
      - does /usr/bin/locale mention things that end in ".UTF-8"? If so,
      your server is correctly telling apps to use UTF-8.
      - If you run "hexdump -C" on the server, type "à", Enter, Control-D,
      do you get output like "c3 a0 0a"? If so, your keystrokes are
      definitely getting to the server in UTF-8 encoding.
      - If you type ":echo has("multi_byte")" in Vim, you should get the
      result "1". If not, you need a more full-featured build of Vim (I
      think RHEL has a "vim-tiny" and a "vim-full" package, or similar).
      - In vim, you want to check the values of the 'encoding' and
      'termencoding' variables; check them out in the online help for
      details. Also, ":help multibyte" may give you useful tips.

      Hope that helps!