Re: "vim -u NONE" on Mac?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2000
      Sven Guckes wrote:

      > How would you start MacVIM
      > *without* a setup file?
      > How to prevent MacVim
      > from reading a prefs file?
      >
      > Sven

      I would move the executable to a folder where it could not find my
      vimrc. If there is actually a $VIM environment variable (Does the Mac
      have environments?) then I guess you would have to rename/move the
      (system and user) [g]vimrc files.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Sven Guckes
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2000
        * Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000510 18:25]:
        > > How would you start MacVIM
        > > *without* a setup file?
        > I would move the executable to a folder
        > where it could not find my vimrc.

        Well, if Vim looks for its prefs file
        in the preferences folder then you'd
        have to move that prefs file, too, right?

        > If there is actually a $VIM environment variable
        > (Does the Mac have environments?)
        > then I guess you would have to rename/move
        > the (system and user) [g]vimrc files.

        Environments? Have you ever
        seen a shell on a Mac? Right.

        As for the MPW "shell" - I will
        consider it as as soon as Apple
        bundles it with *every* Mac.
        But not a single day before that. ;-)

        The real problem is that we cannot
        tell users to test MacVim *without*
        a startup file. At least not in an
        easy way. This makes support hard.

        Sven
      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2000
          On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:05:23AM +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
          :* Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000510 18:25]:
          :> >
          :> > How would you start MacVIM
          :> > *without* a setup file?
          :>
          :
          :Well, if Vim looks for its prefs file
          :in the preferences folder then you'd
          :have to move that prefs file, too, right?

          Unless you run multiple instances of Vim, or are in a strange multi-user
          environment that requires different user settings of Vim, it's probably
          better to keep a single vimrc in the same folder as your MacVim binary.

          :> If there is actually a $VIM environment variable

          I thought that MacVim determines $VIM at every startup and provides that
          and other related variables to vimrc and other scripts. As for a real
          environment variable, not on a Mac environment.

          :> (Does the Mac have environments?)

          Nope. Not in the CLI sense. This will change with Mac OS X, as its
          core is BSD 4.4 (can't wait can't wait can't wait!).

          :> then I guess you would have to rename/move
          :> the (system and user) [g]vimrc files.
          :
          :Environments? Have you ever
          :seen a shell on a Mac? Right.

          If you install Tcl/Tk for the Mac, it comes with TclShell that does some
          basic shell stuff.

          :The real problem is that we cannot
          :tell users to test MacVim *without*
          :a startup file. At least not in an
          :easy way. This makes support hard.

          It shouldn't be that hard. MacVim looks for the startup file in only
          two locations: the Preferences folder in the current System folder, and
          the folder containing the MacVim binary. This may sound dumb, but I
          don't see any practical cases of having different vimrc files in both
          locations. And if this is generally true, then it is very easy to tell
          users to test MacVim without a startup file. All they need to do is to
          move the single vimrc file outside the MacVim folder. So support should
          be fairly easy.

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...