Re: Plans for MacVim-6.1?

  • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
      At 22:46 Uhr +0100 2002-03-11, Sven Guckes wrote:

      >When I look back at the time when I syarted
      >supporting Vim then it was also for having
      >a version for Mac. But there have not been
      >updates for Macs for almost two years now.
      >
      >This is bad! Real bad.

      Vim 6.0.17 for Mac OS Classic was released on 2001-10-21 and
      announced on this list. Since then there have been some updates, the
      last one I still have in my archive was 6.0.127 on 2002-01-13.

      There has no 6.1a release because Benji and I have been sending each
      other patches but I hope to upload a 6.1b release.

      Axel

      BTW, www.tu-bs.de/~i0080108 is dead, but I can't remove it because I
      no longer have access to that site. Guess I have to bribe the admins
      to get it removed.
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
        Sven Guckes wrote:

        > * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [020312 18:54]:
        > > You help users best by explaining which
        > > version is useful for which user.
        >
        > That's only possible when the versions work flawlessly.
        > Otherwise it's a matter of "which version has the least bugs". :-(

        Knowing which version has the least bugs is very useful!

        > > > What users need is a release. They have
        > > > been waiting for it for two years now.
        > > Yeah, hopefully all Mac-specific problems will get fixed.
        > > But this requires Mac developers, and we don't have so many.
        >
        > Please add a request for more Mac developers
        > to the next user release, Bram!

        That won't help. Any Mac developer that can help already knows his help
        is wanted. Perhaps asking this on a Mac maillist or newsgroup would
        help, but I don't know my way around there.

        > well, i won't do that any more. it takes
        > time and equipment - which I dont have.
        >
        > I'd make it a requirement for each
        > maintainer to gather these info
        > on his webpage and add the list
        > to each new package as a TODO.

        And discover we have even fewer maintainers left, because it takes them
        too much time... It's too easy to write a list of requirements. It's
        not so easy to actually do the work.

        Let's be happy with what we have first, then ask for some more! :-)

        --
        We're knights of the Round Table
        Our shows are formidable

      • david craig
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 13, 2002
          > So - what is the plan to get *the* MacVim-6.1 onto the FTP mirrors?

          Forgive, but ... which *is* "the" MacVIM? I long ago became so
          hopelessly confused by this that I gave up trying to figure it out.

          David Craig

          <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
        • Sven Guckes
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 13, 2002
            * david craig <dac@...> [2002-03-13 20:19]:
            > > So - what is the plan to get *the* MacVim-6.1 onto the FTP mirrors?
            > Forgive, but ... which *is* "the" MacVIM? I long ago became so
            > hopelessly confused by this that I gave up trying to figure it out.

            that's *exactly* what I meant! *grin*

            I suppose that *the* MacVim is a binary "with everything" -
            and a different binary for each platform, of course.

            Sven
          • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 14, 2002
              At 19:49 Uhr +0100 2002-03-12, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > > And I'd rather save my time of updating the
              >> page telling users to download one of four
              >> or even five experimental versions or keep
              >> them waiting until the next release.
              >
              >You help users best by explaining which version is useful for which
              >user.

              I promise to add a web page when I release 6.1b:-) And I will include
              a link to Benji's page for MacOS X users.

              >A console and GUI version for each platform, at least. And perhaps
              >compiled with different features (minimal, multi-byte, big, etc.).
              >That's all fine, so long as it's clear for a user which one he would
              >like to download.

              There will be no console version for pre-MacOS X, I can promise that as well:-)

              I don't think a small version for PPC is useful, these machines are
              quite powerful and have a lot of memory. (Next someone with a PMac
              6100 will complain.) But I'm trying to build a small version for
              68000. These machines are definatly slow and don't have a lot of
              memory.

              Axel