Make Vim.app color scheme same as terminal version?

  • foosh
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hi all,

      Is there a way to make the Vim.app color scheme the *very same* as
      with terminal vim?

      I'm not too clear why this doesn't happen already since I'm using
      only .vimrc, no .gvimrc. What causes this difference and how can I
      enforce the terminal coloring scheme on Vim.app?

      Many thanks.

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
        > I'm not too clear why this doesn't happen already since I'm using
        > only .vimrc, no .gvimrc. What causes this difference and how can I
        > enforce the terminal coloring scheme on Vim.app?

        I don't know if this can be prevented, but it happens because color
        schemes can specify different colors for terminal and gui. You could
        check which colors your terminal uses and hardcode these colors in the
        color scheme (as gui colors).

        (See `:e $VIMRUNTIME/colors/README.txt` for more -- terse --
        information on color schemes.)

        Nico

      • foosh
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
          On Nov 3, 9:08 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
          > > I'm not too clear why this doesn't happen already since I'm using
          > > only .vimrc, no .gvimrc. What causes this difference and how can I
          > > enforce the terminal coloring scheme on Vim.app?
          >
          > I don't know if this can be prevented, but it happens because color
          > schemes can specify different colors for terminal and gui. You could
          > check which colors your terminal uses and hardcode these colors in the
          > color scheme (as gui colors).
          >
          > (See `:e $VIMRUNTIME/colors/README.txt` for more -- terse --
          > information on color schemes.)

          Thanks for the tip. I haven't solved this problem yet, but I did use
          ":so $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/hitest.vim" to see the current highlighting
          scheme, and I noticed that console vim has many more labels than gui
          vim under "syntax highlighting groups". I wonder if this is part of
          my problem.

          Basically, all the things with prefixes like vim~ or perl~ or ruby~
          are missing from the gui vim highlighting scheme. Any ideas why these
          aren't being loaded for the gui and how they can be loaded? Maybe
          this is why editing .vimrc in gui-vim looks so completely different,
          as far as syntax highlighting colors are concerned, than it does in
          console vim...

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
            > Thanks for the tip. I haven't solved this problem yet, but I did use
            > ":so $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/hitest.vim" to see the current highlighting
            > scheme, and I noticed that console vim has many more labels than gui
            > vim under "syntax highlighting groups". I wonder if this is part of
            > my problem.
            >
            > Basically, all the things with prefixes like vim~ or perl~ or ruby~
            > are missing from the gui vim highlighting scheme. Any ideas why these
            > aren't being loaded for the gui and how they can be loaded?

            `:highlight` lists all highlighting groups, and `:verbose highlight`
            shows where each highlighting was set.

            Are you using the same version of vim for gui and terminal?

            Nico