Re: Plans for MacVim-6.1?

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
      Sven -

      > I don't want one more version of MacVim.

      Good. We're ready then. :-)

      > How about a release of MacVim for
      > every OS with each user release?
      > isn't this what users expect of us?

      There are several versions on the download page on vim.sf.net. That's
      the best you can get.

      > When I look back at the time when I syarted
      > supporting Vim then it was also for having
      > a version for Mac. But there have not been
      > updates for Macs for almost two years now.

      There have been several updates. None of them is perfect, of course.

      > This is bad! Real bad.
      >
      > And I'd rather save my time of updating the
      > page telling users to download one of four
      > or even five experimental versions or keep
      > them waiting until the next release.

      You help users best by explaining which version is useful for which
      user.

      > What users need is a release. They have
      > been waiting for it for two years now.

      Yeah, hopefully all Mac-specific problems will get fixed. But this
      requires Mac developers, and we don't have so many.

      > A page that says "no user release since
      > Vim-5.6" is by far more honest.

      No, the 6.x versions are probably much better than that old release.
      I don't have an overview of which problem exists in which version.
      Perhaps someone can make that overview (hint!).

      > But I'd prefer some more talk on
      > how to prepare the binaries for
      > Vim-6.1. Not several version
      > for some platforms - but one
      > version for *each* platform.

      A console and GUI version for each platform, at least. And perhaps
      compiled with different features (minimal, multi-byte, big, etc.).
      That's all fine, so long as it's clear for a user which one he would
      like to download.

      > Sven [lose hair? ha!]

      You must still have two, no? :-)

      263. You have more e-mail addresses than shorts.

    • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
        At 22:46 Uhr +0100 2002-03-11, Sven Guckes wrote:

        >When I look back at the time when I syarted
        >supporting Vim then it was also for having
        >a version for Mac. But there have not been
        >updates for Macs for almost two years now.
        >
        >This is bad! Real bad.

        Vim 6.0.17 for Mac OS Classic was released on 2001-10-21 and
        announced on this list. Since then there have been some updates, the
        last one I still have in my archive was 6.0.127 on 2002-01-13.

        There has no 6.1a release because Benji and I have been sending each
        other patches but I hope to upload a 6.1b release.

        Axel

        BTW, www.tu-bs.de/~i0080108 is dead, but I can't remove it because I
        no longer have access to that site. Guess I have to bribe the admins
        to get it removed.
      • Sven Guckes
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
          * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [020312 18:54]:
          > You help users best by explaining which
          > version is useful for which user.

          That's only possible when the versions work flawlessly.
          Otherwise it's a matter of "which version has the least bugs". :-(

          > > What users need is a release. They have
          > > been waiting for it for two years now.
          > Yeah, hopefully all Mac-specific problems will get fixed.
          > But this requires Mac developers, and we don't have so many.

          Please add a request for more Mac developers
          to the next user release, Bram!

          > > A page that says "no user release since
          > > Vim-5.6" is by far more honest.
          > No, the 6.x versions are probably
          > much better than that old release.
          > I don't have an overview of which
          > problem exists in which version.
          > Perhaps someone can make that overview (hint!).

          well, i won't do that any more. it takes
          time and equipment - which I dont have.

          I'd make it a requirement for each
          maintainer to gather these info
          on his webpage and add the list
          to each new package as a TODO.

          > > But I'd prefer some more talk on
          > > how to prepare the binaries for
          > > Vim-6.1. Not several version
          > > for some platforms - but one
          > > version for *each* platform.
          > A console and GUI version for each platform, at least.
          > And perhaps compiled with different features
          > (minimal, multi-byte, big, etc.). That's all fine, so long
          > as it's clear for a user which one he would like to download.

          platform: 68k, MacOS 8, MacOS 9, MacOS X
          features: tiny, small, normal, big, huge
          that'll be 20 versions at least. oh, my.

          > > Sven [lose hair? ha!]
          > You must still have two, no? :-)

          ;-)

          Sven
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
            Sven Guckes wrote:

            > * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [020312 18:54]:
            > > You help users best by explaining which
            > > version is useful for which user.
            >
            > That's only possible when the versions work flawlessly.
            > Otherwise it's a matter of "which version has the least bugs". :-(

            Knowing which version has the least bugs is very useful!

            > > > What users need is a release. They have
            > > > been waiting for it for two years now.
            > > Yeah, hopefully all Mac-specific problems will get fixed.
            > > But this requires Mac developers, and we don't have so many.
            >
            > Please add a request for more Mac developers
            > to the next user release, Bram!

            That won't help. Any Mac developer that can help already knows his help
            is wanted. Perhaps asking this on a Mac maillist or newsgroup would
            help, but I don't know my way around there.

            > well, i won't do that any more. it takes
            > time and equipment - which I dont have.
            >
            > I'd make it a requirement for each
            > maintainer to gather these info
            > on his webpage and add the list
            > to each new package as a TODO.

            And discover we have even fewer maintainers left, because it takes them
            too much time... It's too easy to write a list of requirements. It's
            not so easy to actually do the work.

            Let's be happy with what we have first, then ask for some more! :-)

            --
            We're knights of the Round Table
            Our shows are formidable

          • david craig
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 13, 2002
              > So - what is the plan to get *the* MacVim-6.1 onto the FTP mirrors?

              Forgive, but ... which *is* "the" MacVIM? I long ago became so
              hopelessly confused by this that I gave up trying to figure it out.

              David Craig

              <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
            • Sven Guckes
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 13, 2002
                * david craig <dac@...> [2002-03-13 20:19]:
                > > So - what is the plan to get *the* MacVim-6.1 onto the FTP mirrors?
                > Forgive, but ... which *is* "the" MacVIM? I long ago became so
                > hopelessly confused by this that I gave up trying to figure it out.

                that's *exactly* what I meant! *grin*

                I suppose that *the* MacVim is a binary "with everything" -
                and a different binary for each platform, of course.

                Sven
              • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 14, 2002
                  At 19:49 Uhr +0100 2002-03-12, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > > And I'd rather save my time of updating the
                  >> page telling users to download one of four
                  >> or even five experimental versions or keep
                  >> them waiting until the next release.
                  >
                  >You help users best by explaining which version is useful for which
                  >user.

                  I promise to add a web page when I release 6.1b:-) And I will include
                  a link to Benji's page for MacOS X users.

                  >A console and GUI version for each platform, at least. And perhaps
                  >compiled with different features (minimal, multi-byte, big, etc.).
                  >That's all fine, so long as it's clear for a user which one he would
                  >like to download.

                  There will be no console version for pre-MacOS X, I can promise that as well:-)

                  I don't think a small version for PPC is useful, these machines are
                  quite powerful and have a lot of memory. (Next someone with a PMac
                  6100 will complain.) But I'm trying to build a small version for
                  68000. These machines are definatly slow and don't have a lot of
                  memory.

                  Axel