Re: Plans for MacVim-6.1?

  • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11, 2002
      At 16:46 Uhr +0100 2002-03-11, Sven Guckes wrote:
      >So - what is the plan to get *the*
      >MacVim-6.1 onto the FTP mirrors?

      There will never be *the* MacVim version.

      Benji can build MacOS X carbon Vims, and I can build MacOS 8/9 Vims
      for PPC and 68k (68020 and above). Both operating systems are
      different, like Win95 and WinNT (or even Win 3.1 and WinNT 4.0).

      I'm not sure about the requierements for 68k MacVim, I haven't booted
      my Performa this year, but even if I boot the machine I had to
      install 7.5.5 to test compatibility.

      I guess Vim 6.1 release would be a good idea for a test in the old machine.

      Axel
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
        Sven -

        > I don't want one more version of MacVim.

        Good. We're ready then. :-)

        > How about a release of MacVim for
        > every OS with each user release?
        > isn't this what users expect of us?

        There are several versions on the download page on vim.sf.net. That's
        the best you can get.

        > When I look back at the time when I syarted
        > supporting Vim then it was also for having
        > a version for Mac. But there have not been
        > updates for Macs for almost two years now.

        There have been several updates. None of them is perfect, of course.

        > This is bad! Real bad.
        >
        > And I'd rather save my time of updating the
        > page telling users to download one of four
        > or even five experimental versions or keep
        > them waiting until the next release.

        You help users best by explaining which version is useful for which
        user.

        > What users need is a release. They have
        > been waiting for it for two years now.

        Yeah, hopefully all Mac-specific problems will get fixed. But this
        requires Mac developers, and we don't have so many.

        > A page that says "no user release since
        > Vim-5.6" is by far more honest.

        No, the 6.x versions are probably much better than that old release.
        I don't have an overview of which problem exists in which version.
        Perhaps someone can make that overview (hint!).

        > But I'd prefer some more talk on
        > how to prepare the binaries for
        > Vim-6.1. Not several version
        > for some platforms - but one
        > version for *each* platform.

        A console and GUI version for each platform, at least. And perhaps
        compiled with different features (minimal, multi-byte, big, etc.).
        That's all fine, so long as it's clear for a user which one he would
        like to download.

        > Sven [lose hair? ha!]

        You must still have two, no? :-)

        263. You have more e-mail addresses than shorts.

      • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
          At 22:46 Uhr +0100 2002-03-11, Sven Guckes wrote:

          >When I look back at the time when I syarted
          >supporting Vim then it was also for having
          >a version for Mac. But there have not been
          >updates for Macs for almost two years now.
          >
          >This is bad! Real bad.

          Vim 6.0.17 for Mac OS Classic was released on 2001-10-21 and
          announced on this list. Since then there have been some updates, the
          last one I still have in my archive was 6.0.127 on 2002-01-13.

          There has no 6.1a release because Benji and I have been sending each
          other patches but I hope to upload a 6.1b release.

          Axel

          BTW, www.tu-bs.de/~i0080108 is dead, but I can't remove it because I
          no longer have access to that site. Guess I have to bribe the admins
          to get it removed.
        • Sven Guckes
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
            * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [020312 18:54]:
            > You help users best by explaining which
            > version is useful for which user.

            That's only possible when the versions work flawlessly.
            Otherwise it's a matter of "which version has the least bugs". :-(

            > > What users need is a release. They have
            > > been waiting for it for two years now.
            > Yeah, hopefully all Mac-specific problems will get fixed.
            > But this requires Mac developers, and we don't have so many.

            Please add a request for more Mac developers
            to the next user release, Bram!

            > > A page that says "no user release since
            > > Vim-5.6" is by far more honest.
            > No, the 6.x versions are probably
            > much better than that old release.
            > I don't have an overview of which
            > problem exists in which version.
            > Perhaps someone can make that overview (hint!).

            well, i won't do that any more. it takes
            time and equipment - which I dont have.

            I'd make it a requirement for each
            maintainer to gather these info
            on his webpage and add the list
            to each new package as a TODO.

            > > But I'd prefer some more talk on
            > > how to prepare the binaries for
            > > Vim-6.1. Not several version
            > > for some platforms - but one
            > > version for *each* platform.
            > A console and GUI version for each platform, at least.
            > And perhaps compiled with different features
            > (minimal, multi-byte, big, etc.). That's all fine, so long
            > as it's clear for a user which one he would like to download.

            platform: 68k, MacOS 8, MacOS 9, MacOS X
            features: tiny, small, normal, big, huge
            that'll be 20 versions at least. oh, my.

            > > Sven [lose hair? ha!]
            > You must still have two, no? :-)

            ;-)

            Sven
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12, 2002
              Sven Guckes wrote:

              > * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [020312 18:54]:
              > > You help users best by explaining which
              > > version is useful for which user.
              >
              > That's only possible when the versions work flawlessly.
              > Otherwise it's a matter of "which version has the least bugs". :-(

              Knowing which version has the least bugs is very useful!

              > > > What users need is a release. They have
              > > > been waiting for it for two years now.
              > > Yeah, hopefully all Mac-specific problems will get fixed.
              > > But this requires Mac developers, and we don't have so many.
              >
              > Please add a request for more Mac developers
              > to the next user release, Bram!

              That won't help. Any Mac developer that can help already knows his help
              is wanted. Perhaps asking this on a Mac maillist or newsgroup would
              help, but I don't know my way around there.

              > well, i won't do that any more. it takes
              > time and equipment - which I dont have.
              >
              > I'd make it a requirement for each
              > maintainer to gather these info
              > on his webpage and add the list
              > to each new package as a TODO.

              And discover we have even fewer maintainers left, because it takes them
              too much time... It's too easy to write a list of requirements. It's
              not so easy to actually do the work.

              Let's be happy with what we have first, then ask for some more! :-)

              --
              We're knights of the Round Table
              Our shows are formidable

            • david craig
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 13, 2002
                > So - what is the plan to get *the* MacVim-6.1 onto the FTP mirrors?

                Forgive, but ... which *is* "the" MacVIM? I long ago became so
                hopelessly confused by this that I gave up trying to figure it out.

                David Craig

                <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
              • Sven Guckes
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 13, 2002
                  * david craig <dac@...> [2002-03-13 20:19]:
                  > > So - what is the plan to get *the* MacVim-6.1 onto the FTP mirrors?
                  > Forgive, but ... which *is* "the" MacVIM? I long ago became so
                  > hopelessly confused by this that I gave up trying to figure it out.

                  that's *exactly* what I meant! *grin*

                  I suppose that *the* MacVim is a binary "with everything" -
                  and a different binary for each platform, of course.

                  Sven
                • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 14, 2002
                    At 19:49 Uhr +0100 2002-03-12, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > > And I'd rather save my time of updating the
                    >> page telling users to download one of four
                    >> or even five experimental versions or keep
                    >> them waiting until the next release.
                    >
                    >You help users best by explaining which version is useful for which
                    >user.

                    I promise to add a web page when I release 6.1b:-) And I will include
                    a link to Benji's page for MacOS X users.

                    >A console and GUI version for each platform, at least. And perhaps
                    >compiled with different features (minimal, multi-byte, big, etc.).
                    >That's all fine, so long as it's clear for a user which one he would
                    >like to download.

                    There will be no console version for pre-MacOS X, I can promise that as well:-)

                    I don't think a small version for PPC is useful, these machines are
                    quite powerful and have a lot of memory. (Next someone with a PMac
                    6100 will complain.) But I'm trying to build a small version for
                    68000. These machines are definatly slow and don't have a lot of
                    memory.

                    Axel