vim-cocoa 0.1 released

  • Jjgod Jiang
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
      vim-cocoa - vim GUI interface with Cocoa
      http://code.google.com/p/vim-cocoa

      Release notes
      =============

      vim-cocoa 0.1 is the first release with a version number, it brings
      the following fixes and improvements.

      * Move code repository from Subversion (google code) to Git
      (repo.or.gz), it greatly simplified code maintainance, especially
      for syncing with upstream vim source. We still use google code to
      publish documentation and track issues, though. (Thanks Tim Allen,
      Bjorn Winkler for their instructions on setting up MacVim git repo.)

      * You can enable/disable font anti-alias with vim option 'antialias',
      by default vim-cocoa enabled anti-aliasing, use "set noantialias"
      to disable this. (Requested by Tom Birch.)

      * Remember last window position like other Mac apps do. (:winpos
      still takes precedence.) (Requested by David Fooshee.)

      * Various bugs on scroll bars. (Submited by Nico Weber.)

      What is vim-cocoa
      =================

      vim-cocoa is a vim GUI interface implementation with Cocoa on Mac
      OS X, it's aim is to provide a GUI interface for people used to use
      vim on other platforms like Linux or Windows, so preserve vim-like
      behavior has a higher priority than making it more Mac-like. But we
      do try our best to use the most updated technology on Mac platform
      to make keep it's code base simple, clean and elegant.

      How to get it
      =============

      An universal binary of vim-cocoa 0.1 is available at:

      http://vim-cocoa.googlecode.com/files/vim-cocoa-0.1.tar.bz2

      If you'd like to build it your self, please check the next section.

      Build from source
      =================

      The source code of vim-cocoa is licensed under the same license of
      vim. It's available at git://repo.or.cz/vim-cocoa.git, you can fetch
      and build it with the following instructions:

      $ git clone git://repo.or.cz/vim-cocoa.git
      $ cd vim-cocoa/src
      $ ./bootstrap.sh
      $ ./configure --enable-gui=cocoa --enable-multibyte
      $ make
      $ sudo make install

      To browse the source from web, visit http://repo.or.cz/w/vim-cocoa.git,
      you can also subscribe for changes with Atom feed:

      http://repo.or.cz/w/vim-cocoa.git?a=atom

      If you haven't installed git, use:

      $ sudo port install git-core +svn

      to install one with macports.

      If you have any other comments or suggestions, feel free to sent to:
      gzjjgod@....

      Happy Vimming!

      - Jiang

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
        > vim-cocoa 0.1 is the first release with a version number, it brings
        > the following fixes and improvements.

        Yay, a release :-) Looks very good so far. I found another minor
        scrollbar problem. I posted it to the issue tracker since you said you
        prefer that.

        I'd like it if you could add a few default bindings (mainly <D-w> to
        `:confirm q` and <D-t> to `:tabnew`).

        Nico

      • anmar
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
          This is super great. One thing can you please elaborate on is how
          does Vim-cocoa and MacVim are related if any and is there a merge in
          the works? I thought there were.

          anmar

        • Tim Allen
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
            On Nov 3, 2:54 am, "Jjgod Jiang" <gzjj...@...> wrote:
            > vim-cocoa - vim GUI interface with Cocoa
            > http://code.google.com/p/vim-cocoa

            So, who can guess which of these is MacVim, and which is vim-cocoa,
            and how do you know?

            http://home.aanet.com.au/Screwtape/TheTwoVims.png

          • foosh
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
              On Nov 2, 10:54 am, "Jjgod Jiang" <gzjj...@...> wrote:
              > vim-cocoa - vim GUI interface with Cocoahttp://code.google.com/p/vim-cocoa
              >
              > Release notes
              > =============
              >
              > vim-cocoa 0.1 is the first release with a version number, it brings
              > the following fixes and improvements.

              This is a great release. Thanks!

              > anmar wrote:
              >This is super great. One thing can you please elaborate on is how
              >does Vim-cocoa and MacVim are related if any and is there a merge in
              >the works? I thought there were.

              My understanding is that there was talk of MacVim borrowing Vim-
              cocoa's rendering code, to possibly improve MV's rendering speed. As
              far as "merging" the two projects...what would that even look like?
              It seems to me the two projects have quite different design
              philosophies, and as Jiang said, they are not mutually exclusive --
              there is no reason one necessarily needs to be assimilated.
              Personally I like the "vimmishness" of vim-cocoa. It's small and fast
              and elegant. Others prefer MacVim. To each his or her respective
              own, I say. :)

            • Jeremy Conlin
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
                On 11/2/07, Tim Allen <thristian@...> wrote:

                > On Nov 3, 2:54 am, "Jjgod Jiang" <gzjj...@...> wrote:
                > > vim-cocoa - vim GUI interface with Cocoa
                > > http://code.google.com/p/vim-cocoa
                >
                > So, who can guess which of these is MacVim, and which is vim-cocoa,
                > and how do you know?
                >
                > http://home.aanet.com.au/Screwtape/TheTwoVims.png

                That's an excellent question. I think it's wonderful that Vim on the
                Mac has been receiving great attention as of late. However, there is
                a bit too much Vim lovin' going around for me to keep everything
                straight.

                I have been using MacVim since it was announced. I also knew of
                vim-cocoa, but haven't tried it out (yet). There was also discussion
                a few weeks ago about merging the two and have the work be primarily
                on MacVim. If I recall correctly, MacVim was more mature, but
                vim-cocoa rendered the text faster. Right?

                So what is the current status? Will we continue to have two different
                versions for awhile or is the (partial) merging going to happen?

                In the meantime, I think I'll download vim-cocoa so I can try it out
                and see what it has to offer.

                Thanks again for the great work!
                Jeremy

              • Tim Allen
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
                  On Nov 3, 1:06 pm, "Jeremy Conlin" <jerem...@...> wrote:
                  > I have been using MacVim since it was announced. I also knew of
                  > vim-cocoa, but haven't tried it out (yet). There was also discussion
                  > a few weeks ago about merging the two and have the work be primarily
                  > on MacVim. If I recall correctly, MacVim was more mature, but
                  > vim-cocoa rendered the text faster. Right?

                  Going by the screenshot I posted, vim-cocoa's rendering is also less
                  buggy. vim-cocoa also doesn't totally break when handed combining
                  characters in filenames, but it doesn't get them right either: it just
                  doesn't draw them at all.

                  I expect there's a lot of scope for cross-pollination of ideas and
                  techniques, even if the two stay as separate ports; I just wish I knew
                  enough of the intricacies of Cocoa to help out.

                • Jjgod Jiang
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Hi Jeremy and anmar,

                    On 11/3/07, Jeremy Conlin <jeremit0@...> wrote:
                    > So what is the current status? Will we continue to have two different
                    > versions for awhile or is the (partial) merging going to happen?

                    I already started to investigate how to integrate the current rendering
                    code of vim-cocoa into MacVim, but since MacVim implements more
                    features than vim-cocoa, there could be some features involved with
                    the text view which may not going to work after new code replaced the
                    old one, so I think this integration is not going to be a one patch
                    process, I wish Björn can create a branch on MacVim public repository
                    so that I can push the changes to that branch and people in interest
                    can fetch this branch and do some test before it actually going into
                    the trunk.

                    - Jiang

                  • Nico Weber
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                      > So, who can guess which of these is MacVim, and which is vim-cocoa,
                      > and how do you know?
                      >
                      > http://home.aanet.com.au/Screwtape/TheTwoVims.png

                      Easy: The upper one is vim-cocoa. It's scrollbars look all weird :-P
                      (well, and the text probably looks better, even if I can't read it).

                      Nico

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                        On 03/11/2007, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
                        > I already started to investigate how to integrate the current rendering
                        > code of vim-cocoa into MacVim, but since MacVim implements more
                        > features than vim-cocoa, there could be some features involved with
                        > the text view which may not going to work after new code replaced the
                        > old one, so I think this integration is not going to be a one patch
                        > process, I wish Björn can create a branch on MacVim public repository
                        > so that I can push the changes to that branch and people in interest
                        > can fetch this branch and do some test before it actually going into
                        > the trunk.

                        Instead of me handing out push access to the MacVim Git repo I think a
                        better idea is that you create a fork of the MacVim repo. Simply go

                        http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git

                        and click the "fork" link in the top-right of the window. That way I
                        can pull from you and push to the MacVim repo as I see fit. Also,
                        this way anybody who wants to check out your progress can simply pull
                        from your fork. Does that sound ok to you?

                        /Björn

                      • George V. Reilly
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                          The Vim.app in the tar.bz2 wouldn't open for me at all.

                          I built vim-cocoa from the git repository. It runs, but I don't get
                          any syntax highlighting. Instead, I get
                          E484: Can't open file
                          /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Contents/Resources/vim/syntax/syntax.vim.

                          Note: I haven't installed vim-cocoa. I just ran 'open Vim.app' from
                          the vim-cocoa/src directory.

                          By contrast, running 'open MacVim.app', everything works fine.

                          Intel 10.4.10, if that matters.
                          --
                          /George V. Reilly
                          http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog

                        • Jjgod Jiang
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                            Hi George,

                            On 11/3/07, George V. Reilly <george@...> wrote:

                            > The Vim.app in the tar.bz2 wouldn't open for me at all.
                            >
                            > I built vim-cocoa from the git repository. It runs, but I don't get
                            > any syntax highlighting. Instead, I get
                            > E484: Can't open file
                            > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Contents/Resources/vim/syntax/syntax.vim.

                            Would you please execute the following commands

                            :echo $VM
                            :echo $VIMRUNTIME
                            :ver

                            and tell me the results? (for the last command, I would like to see
                            the line contain
                            "fall-back for $VIM") that would be helpful for debugging this issue.

                            - Jiang

                          • Jjgod Jiang
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                              Hi Nico,

                              On 11/3/07, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
                              > Yay, a release :-) Looks very good so far. I found another minor
                              > scrollbar problem. I posted it to the issue tracker since you said you
                              > prefer that.

                              I believe the issue you mentioned [1] has been fixed now. Thanks.

                              About the `ugly scroll bar', I still cannot find an elegant solution
                              to fix that, I knew MacVim has a workaround for that problem, but that
                              workaround needs to check every existing scroll bars every time
                              gui_mch_set_scrollbar_pos() gets called, but gui_mch_set_scrollbar_pos()
                              really gets called very frequently, so I wish to make it as cheap as
                              possible.

                              - Jiang

                              [1] http://code.google.com/p/vim-cocoa/issues/detail?id=17

                            • George V. Reilly
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                                On 11/3/07, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
                                > Would you please execute the following commands
                                >
                                > :echo $VM
                                > :echo $VIMRUNTIME
                                > :ver
                                >
                                > and tell me the results? (for the last command, I would like to see
                                > the line contain
                                > "fall-back for $VIM") that would be helpful for debugging this issue.

                                $VIM: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim
                                $VIMRUNTIME: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim
                                fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"

                                I'm not setting VIM explicitly, so Vim must be computing $VIM from its defaults.

                                /George

                              • Nico Weber
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                                  > This is super great. One thing can you please elaborate on is how
                                  > does Vim-cocoa and MacVim are related if any and is there a merge in
                                  > the works? I thought there were.

                                  Benji, could you give write access to someone to macvim.org? Panos,
                                  could you bring the wiki back up? We really need to post this
                                  somewhere on the web.

                                  In a nutshell: MacVim and vim-cocoa are both "better" than the old
                                  carbon version (which is still the "official" port). They are
                                  implemented in different ways, which mean that MacVim can have several
                                  vim windows, but it's a bit slower. Furthermore, MacVim is a bit more
                                  mature and has a few more features (toolbar, gui tabs, nicer font
                                  selection, ...).

                                  Nico

                                • Jun T.
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 7, 2007
                                    I've tried vim-cocoa and it works great!.

                                    Especially good news to me is that it supports the "inline input"
                                    of CJK languages (on-the-spot style in X11 XIM terminology).

                                    A bad news is that it doesn't fully control the Input Method,
                                    i.e., the IM (such as Kotoeri) is still ON if I go to the normal mode
                                    by hitting ESC. I must manually turn off the IM. If I go back to the
                                    input mode I must turn it on again.

                                    Carbon gvim doesn't support inline input (it uses a separate floating
                                    window for IM), but it does support the full IM control if I apply
                                    the atsui.patch (of Jigod Jiang himself); IM is automatically off if I
                                    go to the normal mode, and automaticaly turned on again if I go back
                                    to the input mode.

                                    Are there any plan to support full IM control in vim-cocoa?

                                    (MacVim uses "off-the-spot" style for IM and doesn't support full
                                    IM control.)

                                    Another minor problem is that the preedit area in the inline input
                                    doesn't wrap to the next line. If the cursor is near the right end of
                                    the window and if I start inputting Japanese by using IM, the preedit
                                    area goes beyond the right end of the window but the region outside
                                    the window is not displayed; this makes it impossible to see what I'm
                                    typing now.

                                  • Jjgod Jiang
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 11, 2007
                                      Hi Jun,

                                      On Nov 7, 2007 4:34 PM, Jun T. <takimoto-j@...> wrote:
                                      > A bad news is that it doesn't fully control the Input Method,
                                      > i.e., the IM (such as Kotoeri) is still ON if I go to the normal mode
                                      > by hitting ESC. I must manually turn off the IM. If I go back to the
                                      > input mode I must turn it on again.
                                      >
                                      > Carbon gvim doesn't support inline input (it uses a separate floating
                                      > window for IM), but it does support the full IM control if I apply
                                      > the atsui.patch (of Jigod Jiang himself); IM is automatically off if I
                                      > go to the normal mode, and automaticaly turned on again if I go back
                                      > to the input mode.

                                      I'm aware of that, but vim-cocoa and carbon vim control the IM status in
                                      different levels, maybe they have different capabilities, but I'm not sure.
                                      It's still a problem to investigate, but I just don't have time to do so
                                      recently.

                                      > Another minor problem is that the preedit area in the inline input
                                      > doesn't wrap to the next line. If the cursor is near the right end of
                                      > the window and if I start inputting Japanese by using IM, the preedit
                                      > area goes beyond the right end of the window but the region outside
                                      > the window is not displayed; this makes it impossible to see what I'm
                                      > typing now.

                                      Thanks for pointing that out, it's a bug of course, I'll fix that in the next
                                      release.

                                      - Jiang

                                    • Kazuki Sakamoto
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 12, 2007

                                        On Nov 12, 2007 2:15 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
                                        > > A bad news is that it doesn't fully control the Input Method,
                                        > > i.e., the IM (such as Kotoeri) is still ON if I go to the normal mode
                                        > > by hitting ESC. I must manually turn off the IM. If I go back to the
                                        > > input mode I must turn it on again.
                                        > I'm aware of that, but vim-cocoa and carbon vim control the IM status in
                                        > different levels, maybe they have different capabilities, but I'm not sure.
                                        > It's still a problem to investigate, but I just don't have time to do so
                                        > recently.

                                        The attached patch will enable to control the IM in vim-cocoa.
                                        It uses carbon API, because cocoa API can't get the IM status
                                        as far as I know.

                                        And, I'm not sure I can use KeyScript(smKeyRoman) to enable the IM,
                                        'Roman' is Japanese input method, but carbon vim use this code.

                                        Also GetScriptManagerVariable() is deprecated in Leopard(Mac OS X v10.5),
                                        use TISCopyCurrentKeyboardInputSource, TISSelectInputSource, and so on.

                                        http://developer.apple.com/documentation/TextFonts/Reference/TextInputSourcesReference/index.html

                                        sakamoto

                                      • Jun T.
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 13, 2007
                                          Thank you for the patch.
                                          (I needed to add "-framework Carbon" when linking.)

                                          >I'm not sure I can use KeyScript(smKeyRoman) to enable the IM,
                                          >'Roman' is Japanese input method, but carbon vim use this code.

                                          KeyScript() is called as
                                          KeyScript(active ? smKeySysScript : smKeyRoman);
                                          so I think smKeySysScript is Japanease (on a Japanease sytem),
                                          and smKeyRoman is Roman.

                                          BTW, does anybody know whether there are any benefits if an app
                                          is "pure Cocoa"? Or is it OK to occasionally use Carbon API in
                                          Cocoa apps?

                                          PS
                                          Sakamoto-san, I knew you were maintaining a private port file
                                          of vim for MacPorts, but I didn't know it has already supported
                                          vim-cocoa.

                                        • Nico Weber
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 13, 2007
                                            > BTW, does anybody know whether there are any benefits if an app
                                            > is "pure Cocoa"? Or is it OK to occasionally use Carbon API in
                                            > Cocoa apps?

                                            As far as I know the main argument for cocoa (besides being more
                                            buzzword compliant :-P) is that apple is not porting the gui part of
                                            carbon to 64 bit, and is encouraging use of cocoa in general. Using
                                            carbon for non-gui stuff is fine, but if there's a cocoa api as well
                                            as a carbon api, using the cocoa api is more future-proof i guess (if
                                            there's no cocoa api yet, you don't have much choice, though).

                                            Nico

                                          • Tim Allen
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 13, 2007
                                              On Nov 13, 8:06 pm, "Jun T." <takimot...@...> wrote:
                                              > BTW, does anybody know whether there are any benefits if an app
                                              > is "pure Cocoa"? Or is it OK to occasionally use Carbon API in
                                              > Cocoa apps?

                                              I recently watched a Google Tech Talk given by the lead programmer of
                                              VMware Fusion for OS X[1] and while he did talk about VMware Fusion,
                                              he also spent a good chunk of time complaining that any non-trivial
                                              Mac application is pretty much required to use at least Carbon and
                                              Cocoa to work, if not BSD/Mach and kernel hooks as well. A "pure
                                              Cocoa" app probably has the advantage of not having to deal with three
                                              or four different file APIs or graphics APIs, but if you can deal with
                                              the complexity of the code and you need a feature that's only exposed
                                              via Carbon or BSD, feel free.

                                              [1] http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2007/10/google-tech-tal.html

                                            • Jjgod Jiang
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 14, 2007

                                                On 11/12/07, Kazuki Sakamoto <sakamoto.kazuki@...> wrote:
                                                > Hi,
                                                >
                                                > The attached patch will enable to control the IM in vim-cocoa.
                                                > It uses carbon API, because cocoa API can't get the IM status
                                                > as far as I know.
                                                >
                                                > And, I'm not sure I can use KeyScript(smKeyRoman) to enable the IM,
                                                > 'Roman' is Japanese input method, but carbon vim use this code.
                                                >
                                                > Also GetScriptManagerVariable() is deprecated in Leopard(Mac OS X v10.5),
                                                > use TISCopyCurrentKeyboardInputSource, TISSelectInputSource, and so on.
                                                >
                                                > http://developer.apple.com/documentation/TextFonts/Reference/TextInputSourcesReference/index.html

                                                Thanks a lot! I'll try to figure out a solution suitable for both
                                                pre-10.5 and 10.5
                                                systems.

                                                - Jiang