Re: Double-click to open file in console vim

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      > One more question:
      >
      > Is it possible to start a terminal session with vim editing a text
      > file that I've double-clicked on in the Finder?
      >
      > I.e., rather than using Vim.app at all, I'd love to just double-click
      > on a .txt file and have it open a terminal window running "vim
      > $filename". This strikes me as a stretch, but I thought I'd ask...
      > Any help greatly appreciated!

      It can definitely be done, but may be a bit of work. A little utility called
      Platypus allows you to create .apps that start shell scripts. By making such an
      app with a shell script to open a terminal window, you should be able to manage it.

      http://www.sveinbjorn.org/platypus

      You can get a terminal window to open using Applescript. And in a shell script you
      can run AppleScript with osascript. I think this would work:

      #!/bin/bash
      osascript << END
      tell application "Terminal" to do script "vim \"$1\" ; exit"
      END

      Use Playpus to wrap that up into a .app and you should have a solution.

      Ben.

    • foosh
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        On Nov 1, 2:12 am, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:
        > It can definitely be done, but may be a bit of work. A little utility called
        > Platypus allows you to create .apps that start shell scripts. By making such an
        > app with a shell script to open a terminal window, you should be able to manage it.

        Thanks for your response!

        I actually found another solution before reading yours.

        Open Script Editor.app and do something like:
        on open inputfile
        ignoring application responses
        tell application "Terminal"
        activate
        do script "vim " & quoted form of POSIX path of inputfile
        end tell
        end ignoring
        end open

        Then compile it as an application and you can then set the
        resulting .app as the default "open with" program for your filetype of
        choice.

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
          > I actually found another solution before reading yours.
          >
          > Open Script Editor.app and do something like:
          > on open inputfile
          > ignoring application responses
          > tell application "Terminal"
          > activate
          > do script "vim " & quoted form of POSIX path of inputfile
          > end tell
          > end ignoring
          > end open
          >
          > Then compile it as an application and you can then set the
          > resulting .app as the default "open with" program for your filetype of
          > choice.

          OK, cool. Basically the same solution. I did vaguely think of a script application
          but thought it might not work associating files with it, but if it does, that's great!

          Ben.