"vim -u NONE" on Mac?

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2000
      How would you start MacVIM
      *without* a setup file?
      How to prevent MacVim
      from reading a prefs file?

      Sven
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2000
        Sven Guckes wrote:

        > How would you start MacVIM
        > *without* a setup file?
        > How to prevent MacVim
        > from reading a prefs file?
        >
        > Sven

        I would move the executable to a folder where it could not find my
        vimrc. If there is actually a $VIM environment variable (Does the Mac
        have environments?) then I guess you would have to rename/move the
        (system and user) [g]vimrc files.

        --Benji Fisher
      • Sven Guckes
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2000
          * Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000510 18:25]:
          > > How would you start MacVIM
          > > *without* a setup file?
          > I would move the executable to a folder
          > where it could not find my vimrc.

          Well, if Vim looks for its prefs file
          in the preferences folder then you'd
          have to move that prefs file, too, right?

          > If there is actually a $VIM environment variable
          > (Does the Mac have environments?)
          > then I guess you would have to rename/move
          > the (system and user) [g]vimrc files.

          Environments? Have you ever
          seen a shell on a Mac? Right.

          As for the MPW "shell" - I will
          consider it as as soon as Apple
          bundles it with *every* Mac.
          But not a single day before that. ;-)

          The real problem is that we cannot
          tell users to test MacVim *without*
          a startup file. At least not in an
          easy way. This makes support hard.

          Sven
        • Eugene Lee
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2000
            On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 10:05:23AM +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
            :* Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000510 18:25]:
            :> >
            :> > How would you start MacVIM
            :> > *without* a setup file?
            :>
            :
            :Well, if Vim looks for its prefs file
            :in the preferences folder then you'd
            :have to move that prefs file, too, right?

            Unless you run multiple instances of Vim, or are in a strange multi-user
            environment that requires different user settings of Vim, it's probably
            better to keep a single vimrc in the same folder as your MacVim binary.

            :> If there is actually a $VIM environment variable

            I thought that MacVim determines $VIM at every startup and provides that
            and other related variables to vimrc and other scripts. As for a real
            environment variable, not on a Mac environment.

            :> (Does the Mac have environments?)

            Nope. Not in the CLI sense. This will change with Mac OS X, as its
            core is BSD 4.4 (can't wait can't wait can't wait!).

            :> then I guess you would have to rename/move
            :> the (system and user) [g]vimrc files.
            :
            :Environments? Have you ever
            :seen a shell on a Mac? Right.

            If you install Tcl/Tk for the Mac, it comes with TclShell that does some
            basic shell stuff.

            :The real problem is that we cannot
            :tell users to test MacVim *without*
            :a startup file. At least not in an
            :easy way. This makes support hard.

            It shouldn't be that hard. MacVim looks for the startup file in only
            two locations: the Preferences folder in the current System folder, and
            the folder containing the MacVim binary. This may sound dumb, but I
            don't see any practical cases of having different vimrc files in both
            locations. And if this is generally true, then it is very easy to tell
            users to test MacVim without a startup file. All they need to do is to
            move the single vimrc file outside the MacVim folder. So support should
            be fairly easy.

            --
            Eugene Lee
            eugene@...