Re: Type/Creator for Carbon VIM?

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
      Benji-

      On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 10:17 AM, david craig wrote:
      > Can you tell me how to do so?

      I'm not a programmer (haven't done any in a long time, anyhow) and
      haven't used Project Builder, so I can't help there. I just looked in
      the application package and opened PkgInfo and Info.plist by hand to see
      what was inside -- perhaps you could just edit them that way. (I have
      no idea if OS X expects this information to be hard-coded elsewhere as
      well.) I'd recommend studying the PkgInfo and Info.plist files for an
      assortment of other packaged applications to see how they do it.

      > If I do this, will OzTeX invoke Carbon vim instead of starting up
      > Classic mode to launch Classic vim?

      Wish I knew! I haven't quite been able to tell how this all fits
      together in OS X yet if an application doesn't have Classic Mac OS-style
      type/creators. Some seem to behave better than others, and I haven't
      sorted out exactly why, yet.

      I asked the question, in fact, because Andrew was asking about
      type/creators for editors that folks might want to use with OzTeX. You
      might want to get into direct contact with him: <andrew@...>

      If you guys figure it out, I'd love to hear what you come up with.

      On my reading list for the evening is Apple's Mac OS X "System Overview"
      pdf. I dunno if it'll explain these things, but it seems a good place
      to begin:

      <http://www.devworld.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/SystemOverview/index.html>
      <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/SystemOverview/SystemOverview.pdf>
      <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/pdf/macosx_overview.pdf>

      [Sorry - those are the links I have. I'm not sure which is most up to
      date.]

      David Craig

      <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>