Re: Type/Creator for Carbon VIM?

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
      On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 10:17 AM, david craig wrote:

      > Benji-
      > I note that the Carbon builds of VIM have ???? listed as it its
      > "creator" (or whatever you call the info in PkgInfo and Info.plist's
      > CFBundleSignature.) Any reason you chose not to keep using VIM!?
      >
      > David Craig

      Can you tell me how to do so? I think I tried filling in what
      looked like the appropriate slot in Project Builder, and it did not seem
      to work. If I do this, will OzTeX invoke Carbon vim instead of starting
      up Classic mode to launch Classic vim? (That would make me happy!)

      --Benji Fisher
    • david craig
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
        Benji-

        On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 10:17 AM, david craig wrote:
        > Can you tell me how to do so?

        I'm not a programmer (haven't done any in a long time, anyhow) and
        haven't used Project Builder, so I can't help there. I just looked in
        the application package and opened PkgInfo and Info.plist by hand to see
        what was inside -- perhaps you could just edit them that way. (I have
        no idea if OS X expects this information to be hard-coded elsewhere as
        well.) I'd recommend studying the PkgInfo and Info.plist files for an
        assortment of other packaged applications to see how they do it.

        > If I do this, will OzTeX invoke Carbon vim instead of starting up
        > Classic mode to launch Classic vim?

        Wish I knew! I haven't quite been able to tell how this all fits
        together in OS X yet if an application doesn't have Classic Mac OS-style
        type/creators. Some seem to behave better than others, and I haven't
        sorted out exactly why, yet.

        I asked the question, in fact, because Andrew was asking about
        type/creators for editors that folks might want to use with OzTeX. You
        might want to get into direct contact with him: <andrew@...>

        If you guys figure it out, I'd love to hear what you come up with.

        On my reading list for the evening is Apple's Mac OS X "System Overview"
        pdf. I dunno if it'll explain these things, but it seems a good place
        to begin:

        <http://www.devworld.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/SystemOverview/index.html>
        <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/SystemOverview/SystemOverview.pdf>
        <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/pdf/macosx_overview.pdf>

        [Sorry - those are the links I have. I'm not sure which is most up to
        date.]

        David Craig

        <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>