Type/Creator for Carbon VIM?

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
      Benji-
      I note that the Carbon builds of VIM have ???? listed as it its
      "creator" (or whatever you call the info in PkgInfo and Info.plist's
      CFBundleSignature.) Any reason you chose not to keep using VIM!?

      David Craig

      <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
        On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 10:17 AM, david craig wrote:

        > Benji-
        > I note that the Carbon builds of VIM have ???? listed as it its
        > "creator" (or whatever you call the info in PkgInfo and Info.plist's
        > CFBundleSignature.) Any reason you chose not to keep using VIM!?
        >
        > David Craig

        Can you tell me how to do so? I think I tried filling in what
        looked like the appropriate slot in Project Builder, and it did not seem
        to work. If I do this, will OzTeX invoke Carbon vim instead of starting
        up Classic mode to launch Classic vim? (That would make me happy!)

        --Benji Fisher
      • david craig
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
          Benji-

          On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 10:17 AM, david craig wrote:
          > Can you tell me how to do so?

          I'm not a programmer (haven't done any in a long time, anyhow) and
          haven't used Project Builder, so I can't help there. I just looked in
          the application package and opened PkgInfo and Info.plist by hand to see
          what was inside -- perhaps you could just edit them that way. (I have
          no idea if OS X expects this information to be hard-coded elsewhere as
          well.) I'd recommend studying the PkgInfo and Info.plist files for an
          assortment of other packaged applications to see how they do it.

          > If I do this, will OzTeX invoke Carbon vim instead of starting up
          > Classic mode to launch Classic vim?

          Wish I knew! I haven't quite been able to tell how this all fits
          together in OS X yet if an application doesn't have Classic Mac OS-style
          type/creators. Some seem to behave better than others, and I haven't
          sorted out exactly why, yet.

          I asked the question, in fact, because Andrew was asking about
          type/creators for editors that folks might want to use with OzTeX. You
          might want to get into direct contact with him: <andrew@...>

          If you guys figure it out, I'd love to hear what you come up with.

          On my reading list for the evening is Apple's Mac OS X "System Overview"
          pdf. I dunno if it'll explain these things, but it seems a good place
          to begin:

          <http://www.devworld.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/SystemOverview/index.html>
          <http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/SystemOverview/SystemOverview.pdf>
          <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/pdf/macosx_overview.pdf>

          [Sorry - those are the links I have. I'm not sure which is most up to
          date.]

          David Craig

          <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>