Re: Help installing Scala support in gvim

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007

      > I am using OS X Tiger and gvim 7.0aa ALPHA...

      Customary remark: you might want to take a look at MacVim ( http://
      code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). If you do, I'd recommend removing the
      'set gfn=...' line from your .vimrc as it comes with a nice default
      font. Perhaps you also like to take a look at `colorscheme macvim`.

      > Am trying to install the Scala plug-in for gvim...
      >
      > The three files needed are located at:
      >
      > https://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/browser/scala-tool-support/trunk/
      > src/vim/
      >
      > The author of this vim Scala plug-in's main page and instructions are:
      >
      > http://www.3plus4.de/scala/
      >
      > My $VIMRUNTIME is /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/

      *snip*

      > Installed the following 3 files into the following directories:
      >
      > 1. indent.scala.vim (as scala.vim) into:
      >
      > /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/indent
      >
      > 2. syntax-scala.vim (as scala.vim) into:
      >
      > /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/syntax
      >
      > 3. ftdtect-scala.vim (as scala.vim) into:
      >
      > /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/ftdetect

      This is not what you should do: If you install a new version of vim,
      these changes will be gone. You should (as http://www.3plus4.de/
      scala/ suggests) create a directory .vim in your home folder and then
      create the subfolders indent, syntax and ftdetect. Copy the scripts
      into those folders.

      Remove the scripts from where you've put them now.

      > The ftdetect was not a directory inside my $VIMRUNTIME, so I manually
      > created it...
      >
      > I still can't see any syntax or any other support for Scala when I
      > tried launching gvim in OS X Tiger...
      >
      > Scala is not present under the Syntax menu of gvim...
      >
      > Any tips, hints, and assistance is greatly appreciated!

      If you did this correctly, files with the extension .scala should be
      syntax-highlighted. If not, but writing `:setf scala` does the job,
      the ftdetect script is not installed correctly -- ask again in that
      case.

      HTH,
      Nico