Re: MacVim

  • georgeharker@googlemail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2007
      For what it's worth, I totally cocur on the 10.4 vs earlier oses
      issue. Most mac users update very regularly. 10.5 is out this month
      anway.

      Cheers

      George

    • zoul
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2007
        > Yes, it does sound very general. I don't mind adding "mac" in front
        > of the mac specific commands since I don't think any of them will need
        > to be short (i.e. they are only used in vimrc/gvimrc). ":macaction"
        > is fine by me.

        Make it ":maction", pretty please... :-)

        T.

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
          > > Yes, it does sound very general. I don't mind adding "mac" in front
          > > of the mac specific commands since I don't think any of them will need
          > > to be short (i.e. they are only used in vimrc/gvimrc). ":macaction"
          > > is fine by me.
          >
          > Make it ":maction", pretty please... :-)

          I will go with ":macaction" and ":macmenukey" for clarity. You should
          be able to type ":maca" instead of ":macaction" once the name has
          changed (in case you find the new name too long).

          Tim's suggestion on checking keys that are bound to the same thing as
          menu items seems a little bit far-fetched to me...still, an
          interesting idea. :)

          /Björn

        • neosun
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008
            Hi all,

            why is MacVim a own project and not a patch to the original vim source
            tree?

            I think it is better to replace the old carbon code in vim source tree
            (not 64-Bit ready), instead of make a own vim application. Has Bram
            Moolenaar a problem with the direct integration of this cocoa based
            vim code?
          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008

              > why is MacVim a own project and not a patch to the original vim source
              > tree?

              Because this way it's easier to maintain. When MacVim started, it was
              distributed as a patch to vim (choose "Deprecated Files" on MacVim's
              downloads page), but this was inconvenient to handle once more than
              one person started working on the project.

              > I think it is better to replace the old carbon code in vim source tree
              > (not 64-Bit ready), instead of make a own vim application. Has Bram
              > Moolenaar a problem with the direct integration of this cocoa based
              > vim code?

              there are (were?) several approaches to make the original vim more
              modern: First, MacVim, written by Bjorn Winckler, which starts a
              separate gui-less vim process per window and has the UI in a separate
              process -- thus MacVim is able to display several vim windows. Second,
              vim-cocoa, written by Jigod Jiang as Summer of Code project, which is
              a "normal" gui for vim written in cocoa. It uses only one process for
              vim and UI (thus it can display only one window)). Bram wanted to wait
              and see which approach works better.

              In general, MacVim is more convenient to use and more actively
              maintained (or, at least, more publicly), but vim-cocoa is a bit
              faster and people say it has better Unicode display capabilities (for
              what my needs, MacVim handles Unicode just fine though).

              Jigod started porting vim-cocoas text renderer to MacVim as far as I
              know. But since he seems to prefer coding to writing mails
              (admirable!), I don't know how far he's come.

              HTH,
              Nico

            • Adam Mercer
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008
                On Feb 9, 2008 11:45 AM, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                > > why is MacVim a own project and not a patch to the original vim source
                > > tree?
                >
                > Because this way it's easier to maintain. When MacVim started, it was
                > distributed as a patch to vim (choose "Deprecated Files" on MacVim's
                > downloads page), but this was inconvenient to handle once more than
                > one person started working on the project.

                Also, due to the way the git repo is structured it is fairly trivial
                to create a patch against the mainline vim source if required.

                Cheers

                Adam

              • neosun
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008
                  Thanks for the information. I think carbon is dead. I hope MacVim will
                  be the standard vim on osx.
                  Little question. How can I pipe the scrolling speed on MacVim? Under
                  linux it is extremly faster as on osx.

                  P.S. The macvim icon is horrible ;-).
                • Nico Weber
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008

                    > Little question. How can I pipe the scrolling speed on MacVim? Under
                    > linux it is extremly faster as on osx.

                    Do you mean redraw time or number of lines scrolled per mouse wheel
                    rotation? (or number of lines moved with cmd-f or …)?

                    > P.S. The macvim icon is horrible ;-).

                    Wrong :-)

                    Nico

                  • neosun
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008

                      I mean scrolling down with the arrow key.

                      On Feb 9, 6:30 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > > Little question. How can I pipe the scrolling speed on MacVim? Under
                      > > linux it is extremly faster as on osx.
                      >
                      > Do you mean redraw time or number of lines scrolled per mouse wheel
                      > rotation? (or number of lines moved with cmd-f or ...)?
                      >
                      > > P.S. The macvim icon is horrible ;-).
                      >
                      > Wrong :-)
                      >
                      > Nico
                    • Nico Weber
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008
                        > I mean scrolling down with the arrow key.

                        Perhaps you want to set 'scrolloff' to a higher number?

                      • Matt Tolton
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 9, 2008
                          Don't you mean 'scrolljump'?

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                            I've changed the value scrolloff. May be I see no change.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10, 2008
                              > I've changed the value scrolloff. May be I see no change.
                              >
                              >> Don't you mean 'scrolljump'?

                              Matt is right, you really want to change 'scrolljump' (but changing
                              'scrolloff' should result in some visible change too).

                              Nico