Re: The future of Vim on the Mac

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2007
      > It seems that $VIM/gvimrc does override my mappings. I've added some
      > stuff in a ~/.vim/plugin/ file to map e.g. Alt-+movements (to switch
      > vim windows quickly). But these are overridden by the mappings in
      > MacVim:s gvimrc (until I e.g. manually source my stuff).

      Sorry about that...I forgot that I do some mappings in $VIM/gvimrc.
      Namely <D-Arrow key> and <M-Arrow key> (everything else is done via
      :menukeyequiv). The <M-Arrow key> mappings should be possible to
      disable at the very least.

      > Is this because of the order of source execution? Shouldn't personal
      > plugins be sourced after the system gvimrc?

      I don't know...can anybody else answer this question?

      /Björn

    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2007
        On Oct 3, 12:02 pm, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

        > Now, Thomas, do you still want to be able to not load the key
        > equivalents (<D-c> etc.), or do you agree that they may as well (or
        > should) be loaded?

        As I said, the default behavior should be that all these mappings and
        menus are loaded - otherwise, users new to Vim would be endlessly
        confused. But I still think that it would be a good thing to have the
        possiblity to "unload" these features. And then, yes, I'd prefer to
        unload all of them to have a vanilla Vim on OS X (which, in addition,
        looks just much much better than any Vim on linux I have ever used).
        But I must admit that I haven't experimented enough to see whether
        this is really necessary or useful; Nico's point is of course valid.

        Thomas

      • Niklas Lindström
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2007
          On 10/3/07, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

          > > It seems that $VIM/gvimrc does override my mappings. I've added some
          > > stuff in a ~/.vim/plugin/ file to map e.g. Alt-+movements (to switch
          > > vim windows quickly). But these are overridden by the mappings in
          > > MacVim:s gvimrc (until I e.g. manually source my stuff).
          >
          > Sorry about that...I forgot that I do some mappings in $VIM/gvimrc.
          > Namely <D-Arrow key> and <M-Arrow key> (everything else is done via
          > :menukeyequiv). The <M-Arrow key> mappings should be possible to
          > disable at the very least.

          No problem; compared to the usefulness of MacVim that can't really
          count. ;) Still, it may be useful to have some part of the system
          gvimrc as optional, as you're already discussing.

          > > Is this because of the order of source execution? Shouldn't personal
          > > plugins be sourced after the system gvimrc?
          >
          > I don't know...can anybody else answer this question?

          Hm, I think my assumption was wrong; skimming through the vim docs
          seem to indicate that the gvimrc is sourced after normal
          initialization..

          Best regards,
          Niklas

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 8, 2007
            > > > It seems that $VIM/gvimrc does override my mappings. I've added some
            > > > stuff in a ~/.vim/plugin/ file to map e.g. Alt-+movements (to switch
            > > > vim windows quickly). But these are overridden by the mappings in
            > > > MacVim:s gvimrc (until I e.g. manually source my stuff).
            > >
            > > Sorry about that...I forgot that I do some mappings in $VIM/gvimrc.
            > > Namely <D-Arrow key> and <M-Arrow key> (everything else is done via
            > > :menukeyequiv). The <M-Arrow key> mappings should be possible to
            > > disable at the very least.
            >
            > No problem; compared to the usefulness of MacVim that can't really
            > count. ;) Still, it may be useful to have some part of the system
            > gvimrc as optional, as you're already discussing.

            I added a check for the variable "macvim_skip_cmd_opt_movement" in
            $VIM/gvimrc (r303). Set this var and no key mappings will be done
            (only menu key equivalents). In the future I will try to make all of
            this a bit simpler to control, but for now this will have to do.

            /Björn