Re: The future of Vim on the Mac

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hi!

      > > MacVim doesn't override any default mappings, it only adds mappings
      > > which are not used in default vim (because "normal" keyboards don't
      > > have a Cmd key). If you don't map Cmd key equivalents to something
      > > else, all your mappings should work anyways.
      >
      > ...and if you *do* map Cmd-key equivalents, they will[1] override
      > MacVim's defaults anyway.
      >
      > [1] Or "should" - I haven't tried it myself, but it seems the Right
      > Way for this to work.

      It seems that $VIM/gvimrc does override my mappings. I've added some
      stuff in a ~/.vim/plugin/ file to map e.g. Alt-+movements (to switch
      vim windows quickly). But these are overridden by the mappings in
      MacVim:s gvimrc (until I e.g. manually source my stuff).

      Is this because of the order of source execution? Shouldn't personal
      plugins be sourced after the system gvimrc?

      Best regards,
      Niklas

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2007
        > It seems that $VIM/gvimrc does override my mappings. I've added some
        > stuff in a ~/.vim/plugin/ file to map e.g. Alt-+movements (to switch
        > vim windows quickly). But these are overridden by the mappings in
        > MacVim:s gvimrc (until I e.g. manually source my stuff).

        Sorry about that...I forgot that I do some mappings in $VIM/gvimrc.
        Namely <D-Arrow key> and <M-Arrow key> (everything else is done via
        :menukeyequiv). The <M-Arrow key> mappings should be possible to
        disable at the very least.

        > Is this because of the order of source execution? Shouldn't personal
        > plugins be sourced after the system gvimrc?

        I don't know...can anybody else answer this question?

        /Björn

      • Thomas
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2007
          On Oct 3, 12:02 pm, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

          > Now, Thomas, do you still want to be able to not load the key
          > equivalents (<D-c> etc.), or do you agree that they may as well (or
          > should) be loaded?

          As I said, the default behavior should be that all these mappings and
          menus are loaded - otherwise, users new to Vim would be endlessly
          confused. But I still think that it would be a good thing to have the
          possiblity to "unload" these features. And then, yes, I'd prefer to
          unload all of them to have a vanilla Vim on OS X (which, in addition,
          looks just much much better than any Vim on linux I have ever used).
          But I must admit that I haven't experimented enough to see whether
          this is really necessary or useful; Nico's point is of course valid.

          Thomas

        • Niklas Lindström
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2007
            On 10/3/07, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

            > > It seems that $VIM/gvimrc does override my mappings. I've added some
            > > stuff in a ~/.vim/plugin/ file to map e.g. Alt-+movements (to switch
            > > vim windows quickly). But these are overridden by the mappings in
            > > MacVim:s gvimrc (until I e.g. manually source my stuff).
            >
            > Sorry about that...I forgot that I do some mappings in $VIM/gvimrc.
            > Namely <D-Arrow key> and <M-Arrow key> (everything else is done via
            > :menukeyequiv). The <M-Arrow key> mappings should be possible to
            > disable at the very least.

            No problem; compared to the usefulness of MacVim that can't really
            count. ;) Still, it may be useful to have some part of the system
            gvimrc as optional, as you're already discussing.

            > > Is this because of the order of source execution? Shouldn't personal
            > > plugins be sourced after the system gvimrc?
            >
            > I don't know...can anybody else answer this question?

            Hm, I think my assumption was wrong; skimming through the vim docs
            seem to indicate that the gvimrc is sourced after normal
            initialization..

            Best regards,
            Niklas

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 8, 2007
              > > > It seems that $VIM/gvimrc does override my mappings. I've added some
              > > > stuff in a ~/.vim/plugin/ file to map e.g. Alt-+movements (to switch
              > > > vim windows quickly). But these are overridden by the mappings in
              > > > MacVim:s gvimrc (until I e.g. manually source my stuff).
              > >
              > > Sorry about that...I forgot that I do some mappings in $VIM/gvimrc.
              > > Namely <D-Arrow key> and <M-Arrow key> (everything else is done via
              > > :menukeyequiv). The <M-Arrow key> mappings should be possible to
              > > disable at the very least.
              >
              > No problem; compared to the usefulness of MacVim that can't really
              > count. ;) Still, it may be useful to have some part of the system
              > gvimrc as optional, as you're already discussing.

              I added a check for the variable "macvim_skip_cmd_opt_movement" in
              $VIM/gvimrc (r303). Set this var and no key mappings will be done
              (only menu key equivalents). In the future I will try to make all of
              this a bit simpler to control, but for now this will have to do.

              /Björn